Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Coleman2010

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 9, 2010
NYC
My cydia isn't working properly. I can't install any apps. I get a dpkg error and the install stops.

My iPad is jailbroken with 6.1.2. Would rerunning evasi0n on top of the current cydia install reinstall the cydia app? Or will that risk blowing up the entire jailbreak?

Last edited:

Han Solo 1

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2013
My cydia isn't working properly. I can't install any apps. I get a dpkg error and the install stops.

My iPad is jailbroken with 6.1.2. Would rerunning evasi0n on top of the current cydia install reinstall the cydia app? Or will that risk blowing up the entire jailbreak?

Are you letting Cydia load all packages and sources before you try? Try killing all apps first, then reboot, then try again. Let Cydia load all its crap before you do ANYTHING, then try again.

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
Re-running evasi0n is NOT a good idea.

First try what Han Solo 1 suggested, if that does not help you can re-install Cydia in other ways.

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
Donwload the .deb file and install with iFile or reset Cydia.

Cydia reset:
Navigate to /private/etc/apt/sources.list.d

Delete the file "cydia.list"

Navigate to /var/lib/apt/lists

Delete all of the files in this folder except the one called "lock"

Navigate to /var/lib/apt/lists/partial

Delete all of the files in this folder

Navigate to /var/lib/cydia

Delete the file "metadata.plist"

Restart Cydia. You should be at the first screen you saw when you first started Cydia: What kind of user are you? Make your selection and Cydia will re-generate the default sources.

Coleman2010

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 9, 2010
NYC

Cydia reset:

Restart Cydia. You should be at the first screen you saw when you first started Cydia: What kind of user are you? Make your selection and Cydia will re-generate the default sources.

I setup as a regular user. not an expert user.

After reloading cydia will I have to read all of my sources and reinstall my apps? Will they over write them if they are already there?

Last edited:

Coleman2010

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 9, 2010
NYC

Cydia reset:

I did the above and it did reset my cydia back to default. But whenever I try to install an app I get an error. I took a screen capture of the error message I am getting.

Attachments

• Unknown-1.jpeg
    Unknown-1.jpeg
    36.9 KB · Views: 755
  • Unknown.jpeg
    Unknown.jpeg
    106.2 KB · Views: 1,097

Coleman2010

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 9, 2010
NYC
Agreed, I've had a similar issue when installing a large amount of packages at once.
Doing them in smaller groups fixed the issue.
I am trying individual packages. It looks as if every package requires dpkg to run and dpkg is incomplete or messed up.

Is there away to reinstall dpkg?

Coleman2010

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 9, 2010
NYC
I fixed it. I used iFile and copied all of the dpkg related files from my jailbroken iPhone and replaced them in the same directory on the iPad.

dpkg
dpkg-deb
dpkg-name
dpkg-query
dpkg-split
dpkg-trigger

I had to reset the permissions after copied them over as follows:

Ownership:
Owner: root
Group_ wheel

Acess Permissions
User: Read, Execute
Group: Read, Execute
World: Read, Execute

After that I'm golden! I can install and remove cydia apps. :p

Nigel zahra

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2013
Hi I have a problem and wanted to know if you can help me.....my cydia tweaks are not showing in the settings and I can not edit them.is there a cydia tweak or something to let me make them show on the home screen without using the settings?
....thanks

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Hi I have a problem and wanted to know if you can help me.....my cydia tweaks are not showing in the settings and I can not edit them.is there a cydia tweak or something to let me make them show on the home screen without using the settings?
....thanks

Try reinstalling your tweaks?

Nigel zahra

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2013
The problem is they all work they just don't show in the settings because last time I turned them on from the settings,but now they're all gone so I think if I reinstall them they won't be in settings and I can't turn them on :( ?!? Help please

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
The problem is they all work they just don't show in the settings because last time I turned them on from the settings,but now they're all gone so I think if I reinstall them they won't be in settings and I can't turn them on :( ?!? Help please

It's worth a try to reinstall. It won't remove your current settings with the tweaks as long as you didn't delete their respect .plist files

Nigel zahra

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2013
It's worth a try to reinstall. It won't remove your current settings with the tweaks as long as you didn't delete their respect .plist files

Hey dude I reseted two of my tweaks but nothing happens they just installed they still work but they're not in the settings :(

Nigel zahra

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2013
What was the last few tweaks you remember installing before this problem occurred? Try uninstalling those

Hey man I came up with a good idea tell me what you think.i wrote down all my tweaks and sources and now I will restore my phone and jailbreak it again to get it good as new and download the tweaks again....what do you think

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Hey man I came up with a good idea tell me what you think.i wrote down all my tweaks and sources and now I will restore my phone and jailbreak it again to get it good as new and download the tweaks again....what do you think

Depending on what device you have, you may not have the option to restore to a jailbreakable version

What kind of device do you have?

chunmngm

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2014
I fixed it. I used iFile and copied all of the dpkg related files from my jailbroken iPhone and replaced them in the same directory on the iPad.

dpkg
dpkg-deb
dpkg-name
dpkg-query
dpkg-split
dpkg-trigger

I had to reset the permissions after copied them over as follows:

Ownership:
Owner: root
Group_ wheel

Acess Permissions
User: Read, Execute
Group: Read, Execute
World: Read, Execute

After that I'm golden! I can install and remove cydia apps. :p

How do i do this... im getting the same error..

Coleman2010

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 9, 2010
NYC
How do i do this... im getting the same error..

I used iFile and downloaded those files to my computer then uploaded them to the same directory on my other device. I then set the permissions on each file I uploaded as show in my above post. It worked.

LycanNyc

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2009
NYC

Cydia reset:

my cydia keeps crashing/closed after this

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.