Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JPark

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 5, 2006
Does anyone know of a way to raise a question to the guys that actually get to ask questions during Apple's Quarterly Earnings Conference Call?

Specifically, I'd like to ask what Apple is planning to do about downloadable audio books at libraries. Currently libraries that offer these are forced to use PlaysForSure because Apple won't provide them with a workable alternative.

mac-er

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003
Here's your answer: they aren't planning on doing anything.

And, I really don't think the analysts would ask that question because they would be laughed off the call. It has no bearing on earnings, so it doesn't belong on the call.

JPark

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 5, 2006
Here's your answer: they aren't planning on doing anything.

And, I really don't think the analysts would ask that question because they would be laughed off the call. It has no bearing on earnings, so it doesn't belong on the call.

Um...how does loss of potential market not have a bearing on earnings? You seem to be missing how significant this is. Imagine that five years from now, BluRay owns 80% of the existing market but there's still a huge untapped market. Now imagine Blockbuster, Hollywood, and the vast majority of the other video chains finally jump on the high definition dvd bandwagon, but for some technological reason they are only able to rent HD-DVD's. Sure, people can still buy BluRay, but if they want to rent a movie it's got to be HD-DVD. Do you think that might influence their high def dvd player purchasing decision?

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
I am (along with hundreds of thousands of others). There seems to be a further requirement.

I am too, but I think you have to own a certain number of shares to be invited. Probably at least a few thousand...

Feel free to e-mail Apple! I've been doing so and they've actually took it to heart. My suggestions were:

An all in one Mac again (the iMac followed).
A cube computer again (done - the Mac Mini).
Video on an iPod (done - 5th generation)
Stargate on iTunes - done.
A few music videos I requested, some of which showed up!

If they get enough people asking, they go for it!

JPark

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 5, 2006
Feel free to e-mail Apple! I've been doing so and they've actually took it to heart. My suggestions were:

An all in one Mac again (the iMac followed).
A cube computer again (done - the Mac Mini).
Video on an iPod (done - 5th generation)
Stargate on iTunes - done.
A few music videos I requested, some of which showed up!

If they get enough people asking, they go for it!

I think you're probably just prescient. If you switched from recommendations to predictions, you could make some big bucks!

Mammoth

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2005
Canada
I once submitted on a form on apple.com that they sell music by Kpist, because I can't find their music anywhere on the web. Lo and behold, they have it now. So they listen. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.