Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrsmith1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 20, 2017
Nottingham, England
The thing I find most frustrating about the Apple subscription model is you can’t pick and chose what you want. For instance, I’m not a gamer. Never have been, never will be. However I am a news junkie and would happily swap Apple News for the Arcade. If I sign up to the family package, which I want to do, I‘ll be signing up for something I’ll never use, ie Arcade, instead of getting something I’d use a lot, News, which, along with music, TV and extra iCloud would be perfect. Surely Apple would get more customers if people could pick and choose?

sunapple

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands
Apple is hoping you will use Arcade anyway since it’s included in your subscription. That’s how they’ll get more Arcade users along with giving away subscriptions for free with new devices. That’s why I’m now watching ATV+ series… Might even start paying for it since Foundation looks promising.

I personally have not even activated my free 3 months of Arcade because I simply do not have an interest in gaming. If I did however, it would become available to my family members as well and they might pick it up.

If it’s still cheaper to get Apple One instead of the separate services you require, it’s still a good deal isn’t it?

mrsmith1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 20, 2017
Nottingham, England
Apple is hoping you will use Arcade anyway since it’s included in your subscription. That’s how they’ll get more Arcade users along with giving away subscriptions for free with new devices. That’s why I’m now watching ATV+ series… Might even start paying for it since Foundation looks promising.

I personally have not even activated my free 3 months of Arcade because I simply do not have an interest in gaming. If I did however, it would become available to my family members as well and they might pick it up.

If it’s still cheaper to get Apple One instead of the separate services you require, it’s still a good deal isn’t it?
Yes it’s a good deal, especially for the extra iCloud, in fact I’ve signed up for the family option, but as I say, I’m not a gamer and would have preferred the News or fitness option. With my cable TV provider, I’m only pay for things I’m intrested in, sports and films, not things I’m not interested in, kids tv and music channels.

fwmireault

Contributor
Jul 4, 2019
Montréal, Canada
The thing I find most frustrating about the Apple subscription model is you can’t pick and chose what you want. For instance, I’m not a gamer. Never have been, never will be. However I am a news junkie and would happily swap Apple News for the Arcade. If I sign up to the family package, which I want to do, I‘ll be signing up for something I’ll never use, ie Arcade, instead of getting something I’d use a lot, News, which, along with music, TV and extra iCloud would be perfect. Surely Apple would get more customers if people could pick and choose?
I understand your frustration, I don’t use Apple Arcade either. But giving too much customization options doesn’t make sens from a business perspective. The whole point of bundling services for Apple is to give an incentive to subscribe to less popular services like Arcade by giving you a discount.

Before subscribing to Apple One, I made a list of all services that I wanted to pay for, and the cost of these individual services. In my case, it was a better deal to get Apple One Premier, even if I don’t use Apple Arcade, than paying for 5 of 6 services separately. It can be cheaper to get individual services, depending of what you want and what you need. You can also add the individual tiers for Apple One and add Fitness+ or News+ separately. If you want both, you’ll probably be better with the premier tiers

Reactions: mrsmith1
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.