Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ted W

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 12, 2014
VT
Happiness...

So what worked for me.

The initial issue was the formatting of my USB flash drive that some how was not GUID an option I should have selected in the formatting process to begin with. See here

Since somehow I did not, the installation with that USB Flash drive failed in spit of following all the instructions here

As one thing lead to another, given that failure, I tried to do the coding of the pkg manually. I crashed my initial installation of OS X 10.5 Leopard. My Mac froze several times. I had to remove and push back the PRAM battery to get it unfrozen. The Mac came back but the OS would not recuperate and it showed the "?" folder.

I tried to edit the OSInstall.mpkg. For that I had to find Flat Package Editor which I could not find in the Xcode package I downloaded from Apple.

Trying to install Mavericks on a working HD also had the challenge of the file Boot.efi being locked and I could not just simply unlock it.

I used the Terminal in

sudo rm -rf /System/Library/CoreServices/boot.efi

After pounding my had for several days I was able, first, to do a clean install of OSX 10.7.5 Lion I got at the App store. I used Disk Maker X As the simple installation following Apple directions did not work. I upgraded the Mac by replacing the chips to quad core Xeon 5355 [$35.00 at ebay] and added RAM to populate the whole 16GB memory bank.

I then downloaded Mavericks installation pkg and installed it on another empty formatted HD using SOFTT I kept the OSX Lionas a back up.

This process was almost embarrassing in how easy it was at the end.

I probably would have still be pounding my had had it had not been for the gracious help I got here from Sko Thank you my friend!

Ted
blackapple.gif

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    702.9 KB · Views: 73
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    748.9 KB · Views: 85
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.