Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

prefuse07

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 27, 2020
San Francisco, CA
I don't know much about how this stuff works, but is there any hope of porting that 6800XT driver into Mojave?
Unfortunately, No -- You will need to be running macOS 11.4 or newer for the 6800XT and 6900XT to work, and macOS 12.1 for the 6600 and 6600XT to work. Also, bear in mind that you WILL need OpenCore or similar.

See this thread for more info on OS, and the OpenCore thread in the main forum for OpenCore.

prefuse07

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 27, 2020
San Francisco, CA
@prefuse07 Thanks for this link and all the info you and the other members provide.

I was thinking of doing a similar setup as that of @ssj92
From the photos, I understand that the 6800 is in slot1 which covers slot2?
And the Nvme card and Titan Ridge are in slots 3 & 4?

Would it fit if I've put a Sonnet Fusion silent in slot1 and an RX6800XT in slot2? And would there be any space left in slot4 for a USB3/TB card?
If this setup cannot be done with a 6800XT, what's the newest GPU that would fit? A 6600? A 5700XT?

Thanks everyone in advance!

Actually, it covers Slots 2 AND 3 -- in the cMP it's a 3 slot card.

Reactions: LoopDotDrifter

prefuse07

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 27, 2020
San Francisco, CA
Thanx for the reply!

So installing an Rx6800xt turns the cMP into a 2 PCI card PC? That's insane.
If I need to have a Highpoint raid card in an x16 lane, what's the best card that fits? 5700XT? or 6600XT?

I'm not sure what you mean by this but the RX-6800XT takes up 3 slots on the cMP. It only connects into 1 PCIe slot, but due to the cooler design, it is tall enough that it takes up an additional 2 slots thus resulting in 3 slots being taken up total.

Probably 6600XT, but again -- you will need various things to make that happen:
  1. macOS 12.1 (which i've heard many negative things about, just look in the Monterey forum)
  2. OpenCore or something similar (there are also issues with Monterey as well recently, if you read the newest posts in the OC thread)
  3. I am not 100% sure about the 6600XT's power draw, but most likely/99.9% sure that you will also need the Pixlas mod (I had to do it when I was running an RX-5700XT, and I imagine the 6600XT is the same).
  4. You will also need access to a PC running Windows to be able to flash the 6600/6600Xt/6800/6800XT/6900XT to be able to use it in the cMP

Last edited:

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018

MediaGary

macrumors member
May 30, 2022
I just got an AMD Reference RX 6800 installed and working in my 2010 Mac Pro. Yay!

The primary objective was to get as much FP32 GPU processing (for video noise reduction) as would fit within the power envelope natively (no mods) supplied by the 2010. The Neat Video noise reduction benchmark gave 58fps within my Win10Pro AMD 3950X machine. The same benchmark results in 37fps in this Mac Pro. At least it's a good step better than the 28fps that I got with the AMD 5700 XT that was in this Mac.

Many thanks to @Syncretic for providing the patched AMD firmware for the job. After extracting the existing BIOS from the card, I compared its size, found that it matched larger of the two files that were on the TechPowerUp website, and flashed that one. It booted and worked normally in the Win10Pro AMD machine with no issues.

Attachments

• Mac2010-RX6800-Success.png
    Mac2010-RX6800-Success.png
    395.8 KB · Views: 172
  • IMG-0593.jpg
    IMG-0593.jpg
    466.7 KB · Views: 195
Reactions: AlexMaximus

prefuse07

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 27, 2020
San Francisco, CA
I just got an AMD Reference RX 6800 installed and working in my 2010 Mac Pro. Yay!

The primary objective was to get as much FP32 GPU processing (for video noise reduction) as would fit within the power envelope natively (no mods) supplied by the 2010. The Neat Video noise reduction benchmark gave 58fps within my Win10Pro AMD 3950X machine. The same benchmark results in 37fps in this Mac Pro. At least it's a good step better than the 28fps that I got with the AMD 5700 XT that was in this Mac.

Many thanks to @Syncretic for providing the patched AMD firmware for the job. After extracting the existing BIOS from the card, I compared its size, found that it matched larger of the two files that were on the TechPowerUp website, and flashed that one. It booted and worked normally in the Win10Pro AMD machine with no issues.

You do realize that you risk burning your (very old) backplane by NOT using the Pixlas mod with that card, right?

I wont argue with you around that, as there are multiple posts on here about it -- but TDP for the Reference card is still 300W, which is way more than the Mac Pro's 6pin connectors were designed for. The risk is ultimately yours.

Reactions: Matty_TypeR

MediaGary

macrumors member
May 30, 2022
You do realize that you risk burning your (very old) backplane by NOT using the Pixlas mod with that card, right?

I wont argue with you around that, as there are multiple posts on here about it -- but TDP for the Reference card is still 300W, which is way more than the Mac Pro's 6pin connectors were designed for. The risk is ultimately yours.
Mine is the non-XT ... TDP 250w. Default power limit in the BIOS is 203w.

Last edited:

prefuse07

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 27, 2020
San Francisco, CA
Mine is the non-XT ... TDP 250w.
Ah, gotcha!
Thanks for the correction. But isn't that still too high?

From what I've read, those mini 6pins are rated at no more than 210W, and I believe that anything above that triggers the system to shutdown for protection reasons?

Ok, I don't want to derail this into that Wattage discussion, so we can end it here, but thanks again for the clarification, and my apologies for misreading.

Cheers!

Reactions: Matty_TypeR

MediaGary

macrumors member
May 30, 2022
Ah, gotcha!
Thanks for the correction. But isn't that still too high? ...
I tried to anticipate your next observation, but you replied too quickly. The TDP of the card is what happens when you crank up BIOS power consumption options with the control utility. The RX 5700 XT that was in there before had a TDP of 225W but a BIOS default of 180W. This card is mildly more of a demand at 250/203. I don't expect problems.

Matty_TypeR

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2016
UK
Ah, gotcha!
Thanks for the correction. But isn't that still too high?

From what I've read, those mini 6pins are rated at no more than 210W, and I believe that anything above that triggers the system to shutdown for protection reasons?

Ok, I don't want to derail this into that Wattage discussion, so we can end it here, but thanks again for the clarification, and my apologies for misreading.

Cheers!
Have to agree with the above, 75w each mini 6 pin delivers, plus 75w Pcie delivers, but it never reaches 75w. total 225w max and that card might only be the 6800 non XT but it will power spike above its TDP of 250w but as already said the choice is yours. new back plains are available on eBay. Pixlas mod is the best way to go for this.

Reactions: prefuse07

Matty_TypeR

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2016
UK
I tried to anticipate your next observation, but you replied too quickly. The TDP of the card is what happens when you crank up BIOS power consumption options with the control utility. The RX 5700 XT that was in there before had a TDP of 225W but a BIOS default of 180W. This card is mildly more of a demand at 250/203. I don't expect problems.
There is no control utility in Mac OS for the power draw. in windows drivers there might be, under volt it maybe you can, power spikes are hard to control on any system.

prefuse07

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 27, 2020
San Francisco, CA
Although backplanes are a-plenty on eBay, per my conversations with @tsialex, not a lot of them are desirable (lots of abused ones, and some are even overpriced). I would NOT risk burning out my existing LoBo, and thus, have performed Pixlas mod, and I recommend the same to anyone else. He also advised on the difficulty of securing a good backplane. Not something I would want the headache or gamble.

Again, the decision is yours, so we can leave it there, but just wanted to add that excellent advice from the Guru himself, in case anyone else is on the fence about Pixlas. It's not that hard to do either.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Although backplanes are a-plenty on eBay, per my conversations with @tsialex, not a lot of them are desirable (lots of abused ones, and some are even overpriced). I would NOT risk burning out my existing LoBo, and thus, have performed Pixlas mod, and I recommend the same to anyone else. He also advised on the difficulty of securing a good backplane. Not something I would want the headache or gamble.

Again, the decision is yours, so we can leave it there, but just wanted to add that excellent advice from the Guru himself, in case anyone else is on the fence about Pixlas. It's not that hard to do either.
Buying a used backplane from eBay/ML is always a gamble, for each time I've got lucky and got a practically brand new one, I've got burned at least two times. Ethernet ports not working correctly, PCIe slots not working or working downgraded at x8/x4, PCIe power connectors not working, missing/ripped components, damaged SPI flash, reseting backplanes, overheating backplanes - I can say that I'm not exactly lucky buying used backplanes.

So, take care of your backplane since buying a replacement backplane is frequently a source of headaches.

Btw, If in your city/region have electronic waste management drop a call to them, sometimes e-recyclers have practically brand new Mac Pro parts from university labs or corporations. I've got some really good scores in the past buying from e-recyclers.

Alexis Noel

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2020
Houston
I have an XTXH variant 6900XT in my cMP with the current Martin Los's OC package (0.8.0). The card shows display when I unplug and plug in my monitor. The system only shows is as Navi21 16GB card. I seem to be only getting limited access to the GPU. Can't run benchmarks or try any games. Have not tried any A/V production projects yet. HW Access says enabled.

Per the above:
  • The XTXH variant (Device ID: 0x73AF) is supported with WhateverGreen 1.5.2 and spoofing device-id to 0x73AE.
I don't see the above in the plist, so I'm assuming it is outside of the current OC package? How would I spoof the device-id of the GPU?

Additional note: I did do the ROM Patch per Syncretic's instructions.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-06-12 at 12.41.15 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-06-12 at 12.41.15 AM.png
    47.4 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018
I have an XTXH variant 6900XT in my cMP with the current Martin Los's OC package (0.8.0). The card shows display when I unplug and plug in my monitor. The system only shows is as Navi21 16GB card. I seem to be only getting limited access to the GPU. Can't run benchmarks or try any games. Have not tried any A/V production projects yet. HW Access says enabled.

Per the above:
  • The XTXH variant (Device ID: 0x73AF) is supported with WhateverGreen 1.5.2 and spoofing device-id to 0x73AE.
I don't see the above in the plist, so I'm assuming it is outside of the current OC package? How would I spoof the device-id of the GPU?

Additional note: I did do the ROM Patch per Syncretic's instructions.

post the ioreg backup.
Basically you need to create a proper BRG0 like here:
I just need the ioregistry.

Last edited:

thomasfactory

macrumors member
Feb 6, 2023
Zurich
I found someone local selling RX 6800. I may sell my 5700 XT and go this route. I will be running Monterey. Seems like I can just stick the RX 6800 in my pc and flash.

I've been working on a youtube video for complete tutorial on how to install opencore/monterey on cMP and may delay further to add this info/process in. I'm actually editing the video on the cMP in FCPX lol

Long live the cMP :D
I tried to do this with my MacPro51, a 30" Cinema Display connected with an Apple Dual Link Adapter to a RX 6600 XT, which does not work. This way the card is not recognised correctly and therefore is not accelerated. An other display which was connected via HDMI was however working fine.

VaZ

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2012
Can anyone confirm any RX 6000 series card working with dual 30" Cinema Displays connected with an Apple Dual Link Adapter?

EconDork

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2023
Did anyone try to run a Dell RWKN3 6800 XT card in a MP 5,1? It seems, that this card is just 2 slots high, but the XT model.
Just got mine, trying to boot atm will post back as soon as its operational. It's weird, it doesn't show anything in pcie slot 1 where my 6600xt would at least show up in Big Sur (but only operational in Monterey)

5,1 , 2x 3.33, red rocket-x, 6800xt (Dell RWKN3 ), 96gb ram , own 4m2 . Big Sur
was previously Monterey but I bricked it and had to start over ish

Last edited:
Reactions: AlexMaximus

AlexMaximus

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2006
A400M Base
Just got mine, trying to boot atm will post back as soon as its operational. It's weird, it doesn't show anything in pcie slot 1 where my 6600xt would at least show up in Big Sur (but only operational in Monterey)

5,1 , 2x 3.33, red rocket-x, 6800xt (Dell RWKN3 ), 96gb ram , own 4m2 . Big Sur
was previously Monterey but I bricked it and had to start over ish
Wow, You have one of those rare red rocket-x cards in your 5,1.
Could you give me a short summery about your experience with that?
I‘d love to know how this works for you and with what kind of camera you are using it and how it’s speeding up your process. I always wanted to get one..

cpnotebook80

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2007
Toronto
Got the latest version of Monterey as of date installed so now I tackle the GPU. My AMD HD 7950 was put in because 2 years ago the Rx580 died, or i think it did since i got a black screen and into the box it went. In 2019 I ended up also getting PCIE dual NVME card. It seems to have been working fine since then. Right now in slot 1 is the NVME card (21.6 x 12.8 x 2.5 cm), slot 2 and 3 is the AMD radeon HD 7950 GPU (2012) and slot 4 is a usb 3 pcie card (should upgrade this at some point).

I know the The 6600 and 6600 XT can be flashed and used without the pixlas mod. Not sure if that has changed with the RX 6800, RX 6800 XT, RX 6900, RX 6900 XT in that they still require the power using the mod. So looking at gpu options to keep this decade old monster going. I do not game btw but more so into Adobe products. I did get the M1 ultra and also the M2 ulgra to test them out from a friend when they were released but kept holding off and going back to my Mac pro 5.1 since the cost of the Ms were astronomical.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.