Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cliverlong

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 2, 2022
United Kingdom
In an earlier post I noted I ran VirtualBox 6 on a CMP 5,1 running Monterey - installed using OCLP. See . The Windows 10 VM is installed on its own SSD.

Now several posts on this forum said VirtualBox 7 did not run on the CMP 5,1 (running MacOS?) because the "system" did not support the virtualisation instructions - particularly XSAVE. I experienced the same problem when I tried to run VBox 7 on Monterey - which is why I installed and successfully run VBox 6 on Monterey.

Now doing a bit of research I found suggestions of the following:

• The CMP Xeon processors do support some level of virtualisation
  • The Xeon virtualisation was "suppressed" by MacOS - preventing VBox 7 from running on the CMP 5,1
  • Older PC BIOS sometimes requires virtualisation to be activated to run VM host software

So I decided to install Linux (Ubuntu 22 in my case - but anything will do, I guess) on the CMP and try to install and run VirtualBox 7. Basically this works and I have booted the Windows 10 VM that I also run under Monterey / VirtualBox 6.

I have yet to see if the Windows 10 VM performs faster when running under Linux / VBox 7 compared against Monterey / VBox 6. I will run some Windows benchmarks - say Geekbench on the same VM running in both environments. The idea is to determine if the Linux / VBox 7 combination is exploiting some of the processor virtualisation support and whether that improve Windows 10 VM performance.

The only reason I am running Windows 10 is to run Quicken XG 2004.

So .... it seems that there may be life in the CMP 5,1 as a VM server if Linux is run as the host OS.

Reactions: flaubert and paalb

z0Nker

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2016
So. MD U.SA.
I have Hyper- V 2016 -2022 running real well on 3 MP 5,1's However I want to run MacOS vm's.
Years ago I purchased 3 Paralells (different versions) but the newest 1 i have wont work on my MP 5,1 running anything newer than Big Sur w/ OCLP. Please tell me which is best to run MacOS vm's. ProxMox, esxi, Linux , Sosume, UTM , VirtualBox, VM Ware Fusion, Paralells ??? I would like to run a type 1 HyperVisor that is stable and not much more complicated Than Hyper-V or Parallells. I would REALLY like to run MacOS under Hyper-V if possible because my Hyper-V boxes are running so well but i dont see how to do it ? Thanx in advance for any 1 's help please..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.