Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

donawalt

Contributor
Original poster
Sep 10, 2015
Last week I got a new iPad Pro 11" (2018), I like it! I restored my old iPad backup via iTunes to the new iPad, and all worked well. But then late last week, I noticed the badge on Messages never was on, even when I had unread messages. I tried all the normal tricks, turn off badges, hard restart, turn on again, kill app and do the same, etc. etc. I read one of the things that fixed it was installing a new iOS version - and low and behold, we got an update to iOS this week! So I updated - now the Messages app has a "2" on it all the time, no matter how many messages are unread - 0 or many. I have the setting for Messages to be saved in iCloud, and no other problems are on my other devices (iPhone, Mac).

I have:
1. Turned off iCloud for Messages and turned it on (seemed to do nothing, maybe I didn't wait long enough?)
2. Hard reset
3. Hard reset with Messages app closed and badges turned off.
4. Went through and tapped every thread in my messages list to ensure none were unread, even though the unread 'dot' did not appear.
5. Asked Siri to 'play all unread messages', and she said she found none.
5. Backed up to iTunes, erased all, and restored the backup.

I was thinking about turning off iCloud setting for messages, then deleting all the messages and seeing if the badge goes to zero/goes away, then turning on iCloud, but I am afraid that will delete all my iCloud messages for every device.

It seems from my reading this bug just is - very frustrating. I don't want to just install fresh and add all my apps, as I have a lot of them. I guess I'll just turn off the badge in settings if no one has an idea...thanks!

PeterRollback

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2015
Arizona
It looks like there may be some corrupt data on the backup that you sued. I would restore the iPad and then set it up as new. Of course the only drawback to this is that you will have to redownlaod all your apps again, but your iCloud content will remain if checked on.

I'm sure you know this but to quickly go back and see your purchase history, 3D (force touch) on the App Store app and click purchases.

donawalt

Contributor
Original poster
Sep 10, 2015
I actually think now it's corrupt messages iCloud. Too bad they don't give us a way to examine it. As a test, from my iPhone, I turned off iCloud for Messages, and I got the same message I do on my iPad (see below). Everything appears fine on the iPhone though, no badge or other issues.

fullsizeoutput_4472.jpeg
[doublepost=1553728756][/doublepost]I just tried signing out of Apple ID and iCloud and back in, no change.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.