Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

svish

macrumors G3
Original poster
Nov 25, 2017
Watched the first two episodes of the show. Very interesting. Many things to unravel.

Anyone watching this show? What are your thoughts on it...

Started airing on April 5th, 2024 with three episodes already available to stream.

Official description of the show from Apple:
“Sugar” is a contemporary, unique take on one of the most popular and significant genres in literary, motion picture and television history: the private detective story. Academy Award nominee Colin Farrell stars as John Sugar, an American private investigator on the heels of the mysterious disappearance of Olivia Siegel, the beloved granddaughter of legendary Hollywood producer Jonathan Siegel. As Sugar tries to determine what happened to Olivia, he will also unearth Siegel family secrets; some very recent, others long-buried.

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
I'm watching. The entire show and story arc is classic noir. Though it is too literal, I like how the episodes are interspersed w/ old film noir clips relevant to the char or the action. I imagine today's audience might not be familiar with old school film noir so the clips are needed to provide literal comparisons. The character Sugar considers himself a classic noir "private dick" (old school slang for private detective) in modern day trappings. The character identifies with these dark, anti-heroes from black-n-white films, like a man out of time. I'm waiting for a thug to cut Sugar's nose w/ a knife because Sugar is literally "nosing around". 😉

Farrell's performances have been on fire in the last 5 years. Really looking forward to the Penguin series this fall on Max. If you like Sugar, you'll like Poker Face on Peacock. A little more "mystery of the week" but sprouts from the same noir seeds.

Reactions: svish

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
I'm two episodes in, and really enjoying it. Love the style and the film noir flashback/interjections. Good story so far, and decent progress. Could be a good one when all is said and done.

And, @Bigwaff, I also enjoyed Poker Face, but this is not that.

Reactions: svish
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.