Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TinaBelcher

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 23, 2017
Update: I’ve already made my choice and went with fantastical, no need to add more suggestions. Thanks for all the recommendations. But if someone can tell me how to use fantastical without stock calendar let me know. I use gmail.

I don’t like the stock app at all. It’s quite nice on the Mac, but not for iOS.

This is what I need in a calendar app

• Month view with the events written in the tiles. No tiny colored dots!
  • Widget: month view again
  • Reminder section included, so I can delete the stock app.
- Busycal: I think it’s the best looking calendar app I’ve come across. However, it’s not optimized for iPhone X and probably won’t happen for a very long time. It also doesn’t have a widget.

- Google Calendar: mess. The moth view is the only thing it has going for it. The features are poor. Google doesn’t care about costumer feedback.

- Calendars 5 looks weird to me. It has month view but doesn’t look as good as Busycal and has no widget. Adding a date to an event confuses me.

- Fantastical2: has the widget I’m looking for, but it has no month list inside the app itself and I think the layout (red colors, fonts, list) is kind of hideous. Not a fan of the “fan” section when adding an event. Reminds me of safari.

I just noticed I’ve posted in the wrong section. I’m sorry!

Last edited:

lemimouth

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2015
- Week Calendar
- Informant 5 (seems to have some graphical glitch on 11.2 though, with ugly locks at the bottom)

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

- Busycal: I think it’s the best looking calendar app I’ve come across. However, it’s not optimized for iPhone X and probably won’t happen for a very long time. It also doesn’t have a widget.

- Google Calendar: mess. The moth view is the only thing it has going for it. The features are poor. Google doesn’t care about costumer feedback.

- Calendars 5 looks weird to me. It has month view but doesn’t look as good as Busycal and has no widget. Adding a date to an event confuses me.

- Fantastical2: has the widget I’m looking for, but it has no month list inside the app itself and I think the layout (red colors, fonts, list) is kind of hideous. Not a fan of the “fan” section when adding an event. Reminds me of safari.

Not sure if you looked through some similar threads, but perhaps something useful might be in one of those:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/best-calendar-app-with-a-good-month-view.2002017/

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/recommend-a-calendar-app.2075002/

kelso7

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2017
Flatlands

Calendars 5 is what I use. It does have a widget, just unfortunately not a month view. I initially was unsure about it, but now it is my top choice, mainly because of the tasks/lists integration (which replaces the stock Reminder app for me). Adding a date to an event is fairly simple once you’ve done it a few times - I’d give it another shot if I were you.

Just thought I’d give a bit of feedback on that one.

Reactions: TinaBelcher

TinaBelcher

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 23, 2017
Thanks to everyone for your suggestions. I decided to buy Fantastical2 since there was a holiday sale for the app and I needed a month widget that could display week number AND my events without having to open the app. My only hope is that they’ll add an option to see the events instead of the colored dots and a view for the entire year which is the only good thing about the awful stock calendar.

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
I'm glad to read the topic starter found a quite suitable app but not perfect I see.
As far as widget is concerned you might like this one (not a user myself).

A bit off topic but I totally can't understand why so few calendars have a travel time (in minutes/hours) to an appointment build into their app let alone in their widgets. Especially from the more expensive calendars you would expect to see such an option. See also my original forum post here.

I prefer a list calendar view myself in the app/widget and also to see a full day appointment in the widget. My choices are:
- Week Calendar (has travel time option also for me as a Google calendar user)
- EventsWidget (no longer in AppStore so it seems, lacks travel time but good display of appointments, other great widgets are UpNext (supports travel time but only for limited set of todays appointment(s), Agenda:Widget+ (only supports travel time for Apple Calendar, not Google Calendar), miCal, Timepage)

TinaBelcher

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 23, 2017
I'm glad to read the topic starter found a quite suitable app but not perfect I see.
As far as widget is concerned you might like this one (not a user myself).

A bit off topic but I totally can't understand why so few calendars have a travel time (in minutes/hours) to an appointment build into their app let alone in their widgets. Especially from the more expensive calendars you would expect to see such an option. See also my original forum post here.

I prefer a list calendar view myself in the app/widget and also to see a full day appointment in the widget. My choices are:
- Week Calendar (has travel time option also for me as a Google calendar user)
- EventsWidget (no longer in AppStore so it seems, lacks travel time but good display of appointments, other great widgets are UpNext (supports travel time but only for limited set of todays appointment(s), Agenda:Widget+ (only supports travel time for Apple Calendar, not Google Calendar), miCal, Timepage)
It’s quite funny you mentioned widgetcal because I’ve used for the last 6 months but it felt quite glitchy. I didn’t like how part of the widget had grey border and text instead of it being all black. My other issue was that the calendar inside the app was hideous.

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
It’s quite funny you mentioned widgetcal because I’ve used for the last 6 months but it felt quite glitchy. I didn’t like how part of the widget had grey border and text instead of it being all black. My other issue was that the calendar inside the app was hideous.

Aha UI wise it's indeed not looking pretty and glitchy is also not what you want to see. Maybe reach out to the developer and suggest improvements?

I personally like WeekCal but it’s overdue for iPhone X support, so I’ve quit using it for the time being.

I love it as well but it doesn't have a month view in the widget though.

Pocket informant Would fill all your requirements. I’ve been using the app since the original iPhone.

I know this calendar which exists indeed since ages, however the app hasn't been updated in ages as wel (September 2016) does it still work as it should?

FirePak

macrumors regular
May 5, 2006
Mesa Arizona
Aha UI wise it's indeed not looking pretty and glitchy is also not what you want to see. Maybe reach out to the developer and suggest improvements?

I love it as well but it doesn't have a month view in the widget though.

I know this calendar which exists indeed since ages, however the app hasn't been updated in ages as wel (September 2016) does it still work as it should?

You want this version. Updated about a month ago
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/informant-5-agenda-task-planner/id1141040577?mt=8

Reactions: pacorob

RichardMZhlubb

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2010
Washington, DC
MiCal - looks promising
I discovered MiCal thanks to this discussion and love it. Except, whenever I use the natural language input feature to add an event, it defaults to 2019. (I typed in "Lunch on January 20 at noon" just now and it created an event on January 20, 2019.) I can't seem to find any setting to change that default. What am I missing?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.