Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

purdnost

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 2, 2018
Looking for recommendations for a way to digitize printed photographs. I’ve looked into the Epson V850 scanner, but it’s expensive and worst of all, slow.

coolguy4747

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2010
What type of photos and what do you want to do with them? I've used a few basic multi-function printer/scanners to scan old family photos with good enough results, for memories and sharing with family, friends, social media, etc. If you're planning to scan photos for artistic purposes and want to do editing, then you might not be satisfied with that. I currently have a Canon Pixma TR8500, and with Image Capture it gives me resolution options beyond what I would realistically use.

OldMacs4Me

macrumors 68020
May 4, 2018
Wild Rose And Wind Belt
Scan times will vary greatly depending on what resolution you choose. 600pixels/inch will let you go to about twice the size of an original photo, for a duplicate print and should scan reasonably quickly. Keep in mind that the grain in photopapers tends to be much coarser than grain in films, and that will play a big role in how much resolution you actually need from your scan.

Not really related to your original question, but: When it comes to scanning films and negs, scanners are painfully slow. Especially once you get past 1200ppi. That is the main reason I finally chose to go the camera copy route for those.

Again you did not mention printing the results, but if that is your intent perhaps consider a scanner printer combo. If this is a one time project that will take maybe a few months, then the device will be largely retired, it may be a good answer.... That said I personally I shy away from combo devices because if one side goes down you are looking at replacing it with no assurances that the other side won't fail in a few more months.

Last edited:

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
Does Epson still make the V600?

If you are mainly scanning flats, the V800/850 are honestly overkill IMO. Their real strength and value is their ability to scan large film(up to 8x10), and I'd dare say that for the typical buyer of this scanner, the ability to scan essentially every film format currently in existence is the selling point and flats at best are secondary.

With that said, I have a V700, which is the predecessor model to the V800/V850. There again, I bought it primarily to scan medium and large format film, although now it only does flats and large format for me(as I have a dedicated medium format film scanner).

I don't find it particularly slow on flats at 300ppi, and I've found it's pretty unusual to be able to get more detail from a typical print than you can scanning at that resolution.

Reactions: Jumpthesnark

JonnyMacx86

macrumors regular
Staff member
Feb 10, 2024
Halifax, NS
Years ago I had the CanoScan 8800f, but as that's not made anymore, the Canon CanoScan LiDE 400 is the contemporary equivalent

USAntigoon

macrumors regular
Feb 13, 2008
Rochester Hills, MI
Looking for recommendations for a way to digitize printed photographs. I’ve looked into the Epson V850 scanner, but it’s expensive and worst of all, slow.
I finished digitizing 500 plus old color pics by using a home made vertical stand two LED lights on a flex stand and a Canon 5D III with a 100 mm Canon Macro Lens...Next I used Topaz Photo AI as the grain of the photo paper needs to be treated ..Also the photo paper contains some white specks as a result of minerals in the treatment water of the original photo development.. I also home made a stand for color slides and negatives..

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmWXUqpd

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.