Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kmichalec

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 14, 2010
So, I like the way Smart Invert Colors is "close" to being a Dark Mode, but doesn't work for everything. So, I thought of this idea, and just wanted to share just in case anyone else could use it. In my opinion, Invert Colors accomplishes about 75-80% of what I'd like to see in a Dark Mode, but there are still issues with pictures, albums, etc, so there are times when I don't want SIC on, but going into settings every time and turning it off would be a pain. Then I remembered the General > Accessibility > Accessibility Shortcut function, which allows you to Triple Click the home button, and perform a function (from a list of choices). Well, SIC is one of those choices! So, I set up SIC to be be my Shortcut function on my iPhone, and voila! I can leave it in SIC mode, and when I'm in an app that isn't rendering images properly, or has weird color schemes, I triple click the home button quickly, and I'm back to normal. When I'm done, I can go back to SIC by another quick triple click.

Maybe this doesn't work for everyone, and while not a perfect solution, I find I don't mind doing it so far and am enjoying "almost" Dark Mode in most of the apps I use.

Hope someone finds this helpful. :)

Let me know what you think!

Phil Holland

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2011
Dallas
So, I like the way Smart Invert Colors is "close" to being a Dark Mode, but doesn't work for everything. So, I thought of this idea, and just wanted to share just in case anyone else could use it. In my opinion, Invert Colors accomplishes about 75-80% of what I'd like to see in a Dark Mode, but there are still issues with pictures, albums, etc, so there are times when I don't want SIC on, but going into settings every time and turning it off would be a pain. Then I remembered the General > Accessibility > Accessibility Shortcut function, which allows you to Triple Click the home button, and perform a function (from a list of choices). Well, SIC is one of those choices! So, I set up SIC to be be my Shortcut function on my iPhone, and voila! I can leave it in SIC mode, and when I'm in an app that isn't rendering images properly, or has weird color schemes, I triple click the home button quickly, and I'm back to normal. When I'm done, I can go back to SIC by another quick triple click.

Maybe this doesn't work for everyone, and while not a perfect solution, I find I don't mind doing it so far and am enjoying "almost" Dark Mode in most of the apps I use.

Hope someone finds this helpful. :)

Let me know what you think!
Thanks!

KeanosMagicHat

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2012
I'd prefer to be able to add this as a toggle in the customisable control centre.

In truth, I'm hoping I won't have to use this at all, as they will have a proper dark mode available with the launch of iPhone X

Last edited:

KeanosMagicHat

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2012
Good tip, surprised to hear it isn't in control centre tbh.

You’re probably already aware, but it is now.

You can add Accessibility Shortcuts to the Control Center.

I currently have this as well as AssistiveTouch for access to screenshots.

Reactions: GreyOS

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
You’re probably already aware, but it is now.

You can add Accessibility Shortcuts to the Control Center.

I currently have this as well as AssistiveTouch for access to screenshots.
Nice. My personal problem with that is you have to have the triple click home button shortcut enabled too. The CC option is just another way to do the triple click, essentially. I'd rather have a distinct option in CC so I could disable the triple click shortcut. Or, have the triple click shortcut do one thing (like zoom) without showing a menu first, and a CC option for invert mode only, without showing a menu. Still, nice to know there's a way.

Reactions: KeanosMagicHat
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.