Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cookies!

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 3, 2011
I was having a lot of issues on all betas of High Sierra (including the current GM candidate)—things were slow, choppy, and unstable across the OS and in all apps—even after fresh installs of each beta. I also had an issue where the OS would force me to verify every large file (especially videos) when I opened them, resulting in a minutes-long delay each time. This really messed up my workflow.

I Googled around and found that disabling Gatekeeper could help with the verification bug. But it also completely solved all speed and battery issues I had, and High Sierra is now screaming fast. Just note that the following command completely disables Gatekeeper and related processes, so be aware of the risks that can bring.

But if you need your system to be more responsive until these kinks are worked out, it's a good option. Just enter it into Terminal and restart.

sudo spctl --master-disable

To undo, enter this command and restart

sudo spctl --master-enable

Reactions: Executor

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Where are these files from? What kind of videos? How big are the files?

I have no such problem in High Sierra when transferring large files from my NAS. Tested on 5 different machines. (These are four different High Sierra installs, but three are clean installs.). I wonder what triggers the bug.

Cinder6

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2009
Thanks for this. I’ve been having the same issue (which appears to come up with every major release, for some reason). I’m a bit leery of disabling Gatekeeper, but I’ll give it a shot and see if it solves my problem.

I wish I could figure out why file verification becomes an issue. I’ve tried different file transfer protocols (AFP, SMB, FTP, SFTP), but they all have the same problem.

cookies!

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 3, 2011
All files are mixed, some from work, some not. All are at least a gigabyte large. the permissions look fine on them.

Reactions: crjackson2134

Hanterdro

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2014
After I thought that time machine no longer works with AFP I switched to SMB on my NAS.
With SMB everytime I opened a large video file on my NAS a long verification dialog appeared before the file openend.

I just switched back to AFP and everything is fine. Even Time Machine works still with AFP.

Cinder6

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2009
I was able to get rid of the problem by running xattr -d com.apple.quarantine on the files in question.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.