Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maldahleh

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 17, 2020
Does anyone have any suggestions for a backpack that has 2 padded slots, one which would fit a 16” MBP and another which would fit a 12.9” iPad Pro with the MK? I’m looking for two separate slots since I’d rather not have the iPad just bouncing around in the bag.

I’d like to get one for when things go back to normal but most of the ones I can find seem to be bulky, have chest straps, etc and seem to be designed for hiking/outdoors trips.

I’m trying to look for something minimalist and sleek for commuting, I don’t carry much besides the MBP, iPad, headphones and cables.

Would appreciate any suggestions.

TriApple

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2011
Watching this thread. Outside of the current time period, I travel quite a bit and carry a good bit of gear with the 2 largest items being the 15" MBP and an 11" iPad Pro with keyboard folio.

Here are my current bags with thoughts:

Tumi Alpha 3 Brief Pack:
  • Thoughts: More than enough space and room for everything. MacBook has nice compartment in back. iPad fits nicely in main compartment in back pocket inside it.
  • Ups: Incredible organization - there's a pocket for any type of thing, but not individual pockets per item, more "pocket for small accessible items", etc.
  • Downs: more space than I need, which is a big dislike for me

Peak Design Everyday Backpack V1:

• Thoughts: Tight fit in laptop pocket for 15" MBP + iPad + folio
  • Ups: Really nice design, love the fit. Small places for every item (no, seriously: my chapstick has a sleeve, passport has a sleeve, pill box has a sleeve...
  • Downs: If I want to use the back pocket for the MBP + iPad, it's just too tight. You can fit it, but you don't want to. If you put the iPad in the top accessible backpack pocket it works fine... small niggle: the pencil falls off because the iPad is not fully secured down.
  • Other Down: the zippers are very tight, that's a plus, but also a minus when I'm wanting to be quick.

I love the Peak Design one and want it to be my every day bag so I'm trying to find a way to carry all my gear in it perfectly, but I haven't quite nailed it yet. Now I'm not traveling so I can't really play around with it. I've read that the v2 of the same bag is slightly larger in the laptop pocket, which could solve the problem, but they don't make the same color (tan) that I bought.

For context, gear I carry (in the Peak Design I have extra room overall the way I store it, but negatives above on iPad Pro in current storage format... in the Tumi there is significant excess room, so much that the size feels wasteful)

• 15" MacBook Pro (2019 size)
  • 11" iPad Pro + keyboard folio
  • Razer Mamba Wireless mouse + small case
  • Native Union cord organizer box (https://www.amazon.com/Native-Union...=cord+box+native+union&qid=1588088613&sr=8-11). Note: this is for the Peak Design, I was previously using the Tumi Alpha cord organizer and included my presentation kit in it - I now have the presentation kit as an optional item that fits in the Peak Design as a separate case if I need to present that week (HDMI, VGA USB-C adapters + portable projector + HDMI cable + VGA cable)
    • In Native Union Bag:
      • Anker PowerPort Atom PD 2 (this has 2 USB-C ports for a total of 60W delivery)
      • Anker PowerPort Atom III Slim (this has 1 USB-C port
      • USB-C to USB adapter (primarily for mouse USB receiver)
      • USB-C Apple Watch 1M cord
      • USB-C to Lightning cord
      • 2M USB-C cord (charge laptop or iPad)
      • 1M USB-C cord
      • Mouse charging cord (old USB.. I can't find a good mouse that charges with USB-C and the adapter I bought didn't work)
      • Additional watch band for Apple Watch
  • Glasses case
  • Sony WH-1000XM3 Headphones + case
  • AirFly (attached to Sony case)
  • Chapstick
  • FinalStraw reusable straw
  • Anker PowerCore PD 10000 (https://www.anker.com/products/variant/powercore-10000-pd/A1235011)
  • Passport
  • Wallet
  • Business Card Case + business cards
  • Car keys (attached to Peak Design back with https://www.peakdesign.com/products/anchor-links (comes with bag))
  • Pill Box
  • Money Clip

shoppy

macrumors 65816
Mar 4, 2007
Hants
I will be watching this I have a Belkin backpack but its just so dull!! It fits my 16" MacBook Pro and 12.9 iPad Pro have try with magic keyboard when it arrives, working with new smart KB folio. I have other bags for individual machines but want an all in. I do have a 12" Macbook I can use when travelling to give me more choices.

Last edited:

Probably James

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2015
^ wow proper post triapple!

I’m looking for some similar all be it something can just about work with a suit as a stand in for for proper briefcase if I need to commute into London.

Currently tempted by the:

AER Flight Pack 2

or AER Tech Pack 2

as they can also be used as a brief.

Or

AER Commuter Brief

but without the benefit of an occasional back pack configuration.

TriApple

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2011
This thread reminded me I'm still searching... so I just ordered the Peak Design V2 so see if the added laptop space makes it perfect.

It goes w/o saying the Tumi Alpha pack is basically "the standard" in terms of business travel... I just don't like the look personally.

marmiteturkey

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2005
London
I have an incase icon - there’s a laptop sleeve and inside an iPad pocket. It’s smart but boring; but it’s also light, strong, well-designed and not insanely expensive.

Reactions: ascender

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
Does anyone have any suggestions for a backpack that has 2 padded slots, one which would fit a 16” MBP and another which would fit a 12.9” iPad Pro with the MK? I’m looking for two separate slots since I’d rather not have the iPad just bouncing around in the bag.

I’d like to get one for when things go back to normal but most of the ones I can find seem to be bulky, have chest straps, etc and seem to be designed for hiking/outdoors trips.

I’m trying to look for something minimalist and sleek for commuting, I don’t carry much besides the MBP, iPad, headphones and cables.

Would appreciate any suggestions.
Oh I have this “boundary” back pack I carry this too work. I work in a professional setting and gets tons of compliments. It carries my laptop and iPad. Plus lunch bag and water bottle and tea. Also holds my work ID, keys, and AirPods. It’s very minimalist, very clean design with no straps hanging out. Worth the cash that I paid. I got it on Kickstarter waited almost a year and got frustrated but i was very happy using this. It’s now a regular product on sale so no wait. I’d totally buy it again. I’ve also used it for my day trip back pack for traveling. Infact I would buy another one lol.

Attachments

• 9C18CCBE-099F-460C-92C8-8BE3D32FF3F7.png
    9C18CCBE-099F-460C-92C8-8BE3D32FF3F7.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 284

Secubia

macrumors member
May 4, 2019
Stockholm, Sweden
I use the Fjällräven Kånken Laptop. It has only one padded laptop compartment but the inside pocket for the seat pad can be used as an extra tablet pocket, especially if the tablet is in a padded sleeve. I have the 13" version but I think it comes in 15" and 17" versions as well. The shoulder straps are padded unlike the ordinary Kånken. I like the bright and fun colours available, but then again my style is casual and goes well with the backpack since it's not very "businessy". And I like the fact that it's not too big but still has plenty of space and it's easy to pack with its boxy shape. For me it's very comfortable to carry around even for longer periods of time.

Dancin-Ted-Danson

macrumors member
May 17, 2020
To follow up on this. I ended up purchasing the TIMBUK2 Authority Backpack. It fits the 16" MBP in the laptop compartment, and the 12.9" iPad Pro w/ Magic Keyboard in the tablet compartment (I also put a Smart Cover in there with it... it gets pretty tight with all of that in the tablet compartment though) The backpack isn't nearly as bulky as the TUMI so it is going to be what I am using going forward.

I ended up getting it on Amazon for $80, but looks like it back up to the regular price

kht410

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2016
I know this is an old thread but I'd just like to add the Aer Tech Pack 2 to the list.

https://www.aersf.com/tech-pack-2-black

It has a separate laptop compartment and its main compartment has a padded space for a second laptop or even a 12.9" iPad. It's a bit pricey but the built quality and durability looks great.

Reactions: ascender

milhaus

macrumors member
Feb 10, 2011
For those of you with an AER Flight 2 or travel 2 pack, it says it fits a laptop up to 15.6. But would the new MacBook Pro (M1) not fit? There's a minor size bump, but looks like lots of room in the bag itself?

Dkelly811

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2017
This thread reminded me I'm still searching... so I just ordered the Peak Design V2 so see if the added laptop space makes it perfect.

It goes w/o saying the Tumi Alpha pack is basically "the standard" in terms of business travel... I just don't like the look personally.
What did you find out. I just got the 2021 16” and carry the 12.9 IPad Pro with MK. My Everyday Messenger 15” broke so they are sending me the 20L V2. I’d love to keep the 20L but am worried the MK and IPad plus 16” MBP 2021 won’t fit. Should I reach out to them once I get the 20L and ask to exchange for the 30L V2 or will the 20L work?

TriApple

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2011
What did you find out. I just got the 2021 16” and carry the 12.9 IPad Pro with MK. My Everyday Messenger 15” broke so they are sending me the 20L V2. I’d love to keep the 20L but am worried the MK and IPad plus 16” MBP 2021 won’t fit. Should I reach out to them once I get the 20L and ask to exchange for the 30L V2 or will the 20L work?
I don’t think youll be thrilled with that device combo in the 20L. You may be able to make it work by using the main compartment for the iPad but that reduces the awesomeness of the bag features IMO.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.