Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Killerbob

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 25, 2008
So, I am looking for advice on a new network setup I am contemplating:

I have relatively fast internet (1000/100) and I right now use my ISP Modem as router. I have connected a LinkSys Velop WiFi Mesh system to it (in Bridge), as well as a few LAN switches, to connect my QNAP NAS, my ReadyNAS, two Mac Pros, printers, two Time Capsules, a HUE Bridge, and the Home Security system. It's a very flat network, all is part of the same subnet.

For security I am using the built-in firewall in the ISP modem, and I have it locked down, with no WAN-to-LAN, and only a few LAN-to-WAN openings.

I would like to clean this up; put the ISP Modem into Bridge, get a Router with built-in VPN and Firewall, perhaps eliminating a switch in my current setup. The biggest reason is that I would like to VPN into my NAS, as well as have some more control over the DHCP settings (my ISP is Shaw and the Blue Curve is pretty restrictive).

The options I am looking at are;
  • MikroTik RB3011UIAS-RM
  • Ubiquiti ER-6P EdgeRouter 6P
But I am very open to suggestions... My requirements are;
  • 6+ GigaBit ports
  • Built-in VPN (for accessing my NAS from outside - I do not want to run the crap QVPN service on my NAS)
  • High VPN throughput
  • High Firewall throughput
Can someone give me some suggestions on how to achieve this, and perhaps suggest a router or two I could use?

Thanks!

Last edited:

VineRider

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2018
I have not used the Ubiquiti ER-6P EdgeRouter 6P, but I use the UDM Pro at work. It is very flexible ( a bit more costly than the EdgeRouter), but I have been very pleased with the UDM. I would consider myself an advanced user, but not an expert when it comes to network routing etc, but the UDM makes it very easy to manage a network. We have about 75 computers, 20+ access points, a few UniFi wireless links to other buildings and it is very seamless to manage.

If the EdgeRouter uses the same OS as the UDM, then I think it would easily accomplish your requirements.

Reactions: Killerbob

Killerbob

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 25, 2008
The UDM Pro looks nice, but it is too much for what I need. I need a fast router for sure, but my VPM/Firewall requirements are easy, and I only have some 35 units on my network (laptops, computers, smart devices, and IOTs).

Killerbob

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 25, 2008
I found the Mikrotik RB5009UG+S+IN which seems to fit the bill, and I can get it at only USD215.

VideoFreek

Contributor
May 12, 2007
Philly
You could consider a pfSense box for this...either DIY (the Protectli boxes are very popular), or purchase one of the ready-to-use appliances from Netgate. A bit of a learning curve to get the most out of it, but then again any decent router/ firewall is going to have a learning curve. pfSense is extremely well-supported with active user communities, and I don't think you'd ever be wanting for features.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.