Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

amersault

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 9, 2008
Moz Angeles
hi, all -

i'm trying to connect to a box at home and i'm hoping to do it w/o have to configure portforwarding. i've tried TeamViewer w/c works well if there's someone else on the other computer you're trying to connect to.

is there software to connect to an unattended Mac? what do you guys use?

amersault

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 9, 2008
Moz Angeles
You said VPN, did you mean VNC?

i suppose it could be both.

most software i've seen requires portforwarding configuration that doesn't seem to be accessible from the Linksys box when accessed as Admin. the options just don't show up.

Apple Remote Desktop is just way too expen$ive for 1 user to use.

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
i suppose it could be both.

most software i've seen requires portforwarding configuration that doesn't seem to be accessible from the Linksys box when accessed as Admin. the options just don't show up.

Well, I don't believe there is any option that won't require port forwarding configured on the router. That said, if you are not going to access this system from the WAN side of the router (usually the Internet), you won't need to configure port forwarding at all.

If it were me, I'd see if there is a firmware update for your router and start from there. Port forwarding is a simple task these days.

amersault

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 9, 2008
Moz Angeles
Well, I don't believe there is any option that won't require port forwarding configured on the router. That said, if you are not going to access this system from the WAN side of the router (usually the Internet), you won't need to configure port forwarding at all.

If it were me, I'd see if there is a firmware update for your router and start from there. Port forwarding is a simple task these days.

TeamViewer is actually pretty good and doesn't require port forwarding. unfortunately, it also requires that someone be at the other computer to acknowledge the connection.

i've tried reconfiguring Apple's Remote Desktop under Tiger but i must be doing something wrong bc the connection doesn't complete when i try to get in remotely.

Bonjour only sometimes seems to work on the same network.

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
TeamViewer is actually pretty good and doesn't require port forwarding. unfortunately, it also requires that someone be at the other computer to acknowledge the connection.

i've tried reconfiguring Apple's Remote Desktop under Tiger but i must be doing something wrong bc the connection doesn't complete when i try to get in remotely.

Bonjour only sometimes seems to work on the same network.

That sounds like a IM client, in the sense that it is probably logging into a server somewhere on the Internet and using that connection to open a remote desktop feature.

If you're looking for something to run as a daemon, then you're going to have to open ports on the firewall.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California

Yours must be the only Linksys router on Earth that can't forward ports. You might consider replacing it if it is really true that it lacks that feature. What I always do before I buy something like a router is download and read the user manual first. make sure it does what you want.

As for Apple Remote Desktop, yes you are right. And to top it off, all Apple did was re-package VNC. VNC is free and is a direct drop in replacement for Apple's version.

myjay610

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2008
something free and easy would be http://www.logmein.com -- works great and it's free (unless you want to pay for the bells and whistles version)

Don't have to set up any port forwarding, just install the client software on the computers you want to use and register them under your account.

amersault

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 9, 2008
Moz Angeles
thanks, everyone, for the replies.

unfortunately, that WiFi box came w/ Comcast and i could have sworn there was a complete roster of features when i last logged in (months ago) but after logging in again the last 3 days, everything was down to basic. what gives?

i ditched TeamViewer to try VineServer last night. installed it, configured it, ran great. COTVNC found it and logged in on the network. thought i was set - sweet.

then got out of the network and tried the whole thing again - no dice. guess i really have to do port forwarding.

amersault

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 9, 2008
Moz Angeles
thanks, i'll try that.

i was reading up on the Netgear hardware issue and it seems, as the ISP provides the box, they can limit the screens that you access when you log into the box as Admin.

even when you log in a su-

absolutely stupid. other users have had problems as well, esp when playing games online (need ports XXXX - XXXX open to do so).

i could try resetting the box to see what happens or buy my own router to swap. the problem is if i go the 2nd option, i'd have to register the new address w/ them.

it's too much effort for a service i'm already paying for.

MacForMeOneDay

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2007
HamachiX might work too

I use HamachiX, http://hamachix.spaceants.net/, it's the GUI frontend for hamachi or LogMeIn, to connect my mac to my Mom's Mac when she needs help.
Once we both connect, I can see her iMac in Finder and can simply use the built in screen share in Leopard.

Its not perfect because it seems to need a kick in the rear from time to time.

I would definitely get port forwarding working if you can. But simply forward the remote 5900 port to something other than 5900 (say 5901 for example) on the local. This way you can open safari and type vnc://localhost:5901

amersault

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 9, 2008
Moz Angeles
hey, guys -

sorry for the radio silence. thanks for all the replies.

i'm going to have a go at this again and see where it gets me. i think either LogMeIn or TeamViewer didn't work bc the comp went to sleep after i left (even if i recall disabling sleep mode).

revisiting this again....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.