Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suggestions how to Expand my MacBook Pro 13" Retina for more memory space

• Yes

• Easy to get it

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

purewater

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 21, 2016
San Francisco
Hello
My MacBook Pro 13" Retina is running out of space for my pics and all other stuff.
Someone told me to expand computer memory space with Micro SD Storage Adapters, but are they reliable?
There are couple brands, nifty, 8mobility, adam...which one is recommended?
Have anyone tried before? and do they go with any microSD cards?
Thank you!

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
Hello
My MacBook Pro 13" Retina is running out of space for my pics and all other stuff.

Which retina MacBook Pro? Early 2013 models and prior have SSD upgrades available.

Someone told me to expand computer memory space with Micro SD Storage Adapters, but are they reliable?
Thank you!

OS X has issues with SD cards and sleep. I've read that in some cases they won't sleep correctly. I've read in other cases that the SD cards are improperly unmoubted during sleep.

r6mile

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2010
London, UK
I have the Transcend JetDrive on my 2013 MBA and it works very well. I have had issues in the past with the card unmounting during sleep, but that seems to have gone away now (maybe this was the update to El Capitan?). I can recommend the drive - cheap way to add 64GB/128GB to your Macbook if you don't use the SD slot for anything else.

Nono8283

macrumors newbie
Dec 23, 2015
Hello
Thank you!

Hi, few months ago i bought 8mobility microsd adapter from Amazon for my MacBook, highly recommanded!
For same reason as you have, space was not big enough and I've been hunting for one of these to fit. My microsd card is Sandisk ultra 200GB, works perfectly till now. I plugged right into my Macbook and was amasing when i touched it, just felt flush fit! Moreover, you don't need a tool to remove , a fingernail will do. Hope this is helpful for you.

Attachments

• S__12615722.jpg
    S__12615722.jpg
    245.2 KB · Views: 159
  • S__12615723.jpg
    S__12615723.jpg
    300.3 KB · Views: 168
  • S__12615724.jpg
    S__12615724.jpg
    308.4 KB · Views: 153
Last edited:

abta1

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2010
Paris, France
I have a Nifty which I use with a 128Gb microSD card. As far as storage goes, it works perfectly. However, as far as the Nifty adaptor goes, it didn't fit when I first got it. I had to cut off a little bit of the plastic in order for it to fit into the SD card slot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.