Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ArkSingularity

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2022
I have a 10 inch Kindle Fire and it's been nice. I don't use it for anything heavy, mostly it's just an e-reader. But once you get the Google Play store on it, you can run almost anything you could run on a normal Android tablet.

The CPU is very underpowered on the 7 or 8 inch models. The 10 inch has a much better SOC and a much higher quality screen, and isn't a bad value if you can find it on a good sale (I bought mine for $75). But at the normal asking price, a used iPad is probably better bang for your buck and would be more versatile for heavier tasks.

heavysoul

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2020
Shoreham-by-Sea
I have a Mini 6 and Kindle Oasis and prefer the Mini for reading ebooks (some hours per day).
I have a 2 year old Kindle Oasis which use for reading mainly when going to bed - and sometimes when I wake in the middle of the night and can't get back to sleep!!! But have started thinking about a Mini 6.

Do you think the mini 6 would be OK to read at nighttime ... thinking of the blue light issue affecting sleep? And is the Mini 6 OK in one hand when laying in bed? The Kindle Oasis is great but sometimes I could do with a smaller iPad than my Pro for heading out on trips.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
I have a 2 year old Kindle Oasis which use for reading mainly when going to bed - and sometimes when I wake in the middle of the night and can't get back to sleep!!! But have started thinking about a Mini 6.

Do you think the mini 6 would be OK to read at nighttime ... thinking of the blue light issue affecting sleep? And is the Mini 6 OK in one hand when laying in bed? The Kindle Oasis is great but sometimes I could do with a smaller iPad than my Pro for heading out on trips.
I read every night in bed with my Mini 6 and it works for me. I'll turn the brightness down and adjust the color in the Kindle app.

Reactions: heavysoul

cSalmon

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2016
dc
personally I refuse to get another tablet until the screen brightness increases so to read them comfortably outside. It's easy to turn them down tint them yellow for night/indoors but try and sit outside and read the thing become an expensive coffee cup coaster. The pro model is too big + expensive for carefree casual use. I would save your money and either get the cheaper option or wait. My ipad is literally neglected in the bedroom all day long.

Bearygoodfries1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 5, 2020
So… I’m still debating what to get 😆

I think I’m just go for the iPad Mini.

…. But then I could buy a regular kindle and a high-end fire tablet for the same price…

Damn it! 😫

#firstworldproblems

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA

…. But then I could buy a regular kindle and a high-end fire tablet for the same price…

Damn it! 😫

#firstworldproblems

Haven't touched my Kindle Oasis in the 3 months since my response above. I've been reading every day & night - a lot, I'm retired - on the Mini 6.

Reactions: Mackilroy

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010

Damn it! 😫

#firstworldproblems
Let me give you more to think about:

I have had my 6th gen iPad mini since I believe March of 2022. I thought I would typically use it for taking notes and reading, which is typically how I use it. But it's also filling in nicely for the 12.9" iPad Pro it replaced when I hook it up to my computer monitor and connect it to my keyboard and mouse. I even use it fairly often with Universal Control alongside my Macs.

My point is, with the Kindle Fire, you're getting the Kindle Fire. (which is perfectly fine--save the money if you feel cost is the most important factor) With the iPad mini, you're getting an e-reader sized iPad Air that can fill in for SO MANY other things if you want to invest in a couple of accessories.

I wouldn't recommend this size screen if you're a serious artist or graphic designer, but this is a perfect little notebook sized iPad that is incredibly powerful. I don't use the iPad as my "main" anymore, but I find that it fills in perfectly for an ever-growing list of physical and digital things.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.