Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JMies419

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 24, 2006
I stopped in the Apple store in Novi Michigan on Saturday and thought I would check out the temps. of the macbook pros that were on display in the store. To my surprise..ALL of the macbook pro's except for maybe 2 (2 out of around 10) were EXTREMELY COOL to the touch. Not hot AT ALL. This was around 8PM, so i'm assuming these machines had been running ALL DAY LONG. The 2 that I said were hot..were HOT. Really hot to the touch..but all of the others, nice and cool. What could this meeeeeeeean? :confused:

M. Malone

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2004
JMies419 said:
I stopped in the Apple store in Novi Michigan on Saturday and thought I would check out the temps. of the macbook pros that were on display in the store. To my surprise..ALL of the macbook pro's except for maybe 2 (2 out of around 10) were EXTREMELY COOL to the touch. Not hot AT ALL. This was around 8PM, so i'm assuming these machines had been running ALL DAY LONG. The 2 that I said were hot..were HOT. Really hot to the touch..but all of the others, nice and cool. What could this meeeeeeeean? :confused:

that's probably cause they were just there sitting and not working too much, when it starts doing processor intensive tasks it should heat up nice for winter time

JMies419

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 24, 2006
Jericho2550 said:
that's probably cause they were just there sitting and not working too much, when it starts doing processor intensive tasks it should heat up nice for winter time

I dont know..the store seemed to be pretty crowded with people running around playing with them. Safari open and several apps open on at least all of them. I guess there are probably cooler MBP's out there. This forum just gives me the impression that every single MBP in the world is more of a heating pad than a computer. I could be wrong! :D

Pressure

macrumors 603
May 30, 2006
Denmark
vv-tim said:
Maybe those noobs learned how to apply thermal compound.

Face it, it didn't mean jack in the end.

I think the average gain (as in lowered temperature) for everyone who has reapplied the Thermal Paste have lowered the temperature by a whooping 2-3°C.

I think it may be an improved cooling system rather than the 'correct' application of thermal paste.

Temujin

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2005
Copenhagen
I think it has all to do with the new logic boards. I recently got mine changed and now the casing and the internal temps are much much lower.

Max temp before = 72 degrees celsius
Max temp now = 62 degrees celsius

ColdFlame87

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2004
Woodland Hills, CA
If its true, its good to know that apple has been revising these machines to run cooler. When they were first released heating was a severe issue but as time goes by complaints about heat have become less. I agree though that Apple should find other ways of cooling the system significantly, knowing apple though im sure they will think of something :)

JMies419

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 24, 2006
Well I was very pleased to see how much cooler they were. I figure with the amount of use display models get these should have been on fire, but nope. They were super cool, seriously did not even feel like they were on. Makes me feel better about purchasing one in the neeear future! :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.