Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iGary

Original poster
May 26, 2004
Randy's House
I need to rig one of my two business sites with an FTP location...

How do I do this?

Yes, I am a total Web dorkus.

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
Well, if you're looking to put up an FTP server, it's not that difficult.

Do you already have a domain name setup? If so, you can simply build an FTP server (such as the one in OS X) and open port 21 and 20 to it. Now add a host to your domain (such as ftp.mydomain.com).

There are so many ways to do this but they are based on your current setup.

iGary

Original poster
May 26, 2004
Randy's House
Cooknn said:
Are your business sites with a website hosting provider? If they are then you probably already have ftp.

Yes, they are.

I should probably get off my lazy duff and check out support. :eek:

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
You should already have FTP support and you should have a FTP account, just that you don't know how to get to it :p. I know i don't have to tell you what program to use so just type in (if using cyberduck) the server name and then your user and password for your account and that should get you to the root level of your account in FTP.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
are you talking about setting up an anonymous ftp location? I'm sure your hosting handles it, the only thing is you might end up having to pay more :)

D

iGary

Original poster
May 26, 2004
Randy's House
I can FTP to my site, but I want an area where people cannot access my page files...just a place to dump stuff.

I am sure I can do it, I just have to get unburied from the 40 DVD's sitting on my desk. :rolleyes: :eek:

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
If you have a control panel for your websites then you can set up an FTP account told a public folder, I have never done it so i don't know how it would be done but i know it can be done.

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
eva01 said:
If you have a control panel for your websites then you can set up an FTP account told a public folder, I have never done it so i don't know how it would be done but i know it can be done.

iGary, try accessing yourdomain.ext/cpanel

If that works, sign in with your FTP username/password (usually they're the same). Then, look for the FTP word/icon. It should either a) let you make a public account, which is a bad kind of idea. Anyone stumbling upon your site can find this FTP and upload things to it.

A better idea would be to make a separate FTP account called something like, "storage" which FTP's to yourdomain.ext/storage. Make the username and password something easy to give out, like username: Gary, password: Gary. This will keep any-old-idiots from FTPing stuff to your hosting, but enables you to easily give out the information.

Remember, FTPing things uses both space (that the files take up) and bandwidth (the upload process). If you're limited on either, using your web space to dump files can fill it up fast.

itasor

iGary

Original poster
May 26, 2004
Randy's House
I run on a UNIX server, doesn't support FTP drop boxes I am told, and I am not giving anyone FTP access to my general files, so oh well. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.