Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

billyt1996

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 2, 2016
Thursley
I haven't had my macbook air long, it is the early 2015 model and is running on OS X El Capitan.
Since I can remember, streaming any video (such as from Netflix) will heat the macbook up to the point where it is really quite hot. The fan also gets louder and louder that I have to be wearing headphones to block out the noise so I can hear what I'm watching!
If I use Chrome, however, the macbook barely warms up and the fan will only come on slightly if I have been watching videos for a long time. This problem only bugs me as some sites do not work on Chrome, so when I do use Safari I am worried that it is damaging my macbook.
Any solutions?

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
I haven't had my macbook air long, it is the early 2015 model and is running on OS X El Capitan.
Since I can remember, streaming any video (such as from Netflix) will heat the macbook up to the point where it is really quite hot.

This is completely normal. It's what computers are supposed to do. You won't damage anything. A computer will shut itself off if it gets too hot.

If you're watching flash video (or videos encoded in certain formats) it will take more processing power to run.

If your laptop is on something like a fluffy blanket the fans will have to work even harder.

Uplift

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2011
UK
I have the opposite effect... I'm always fine on Safari but when I go to Chrome my fans spin up and it gets really hot... i think it just depends on your usage. sites, tabs, media, addons, whatever else is open, etc..

Don't worry about causing damage it is normal for macs to get this hot under load.

DesignerOnMac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2007
I have the opposite effect... I'm always fine on Safari but when I go to Chrome my fans spin up and it gets really hot... i think it just depends on your usage. sites, tabs, media, addons, whatever else is open, etc..

Don't worry about causing damage it is normal for macs to get this hot under load.

I have the same issues with Chrome. Plus Chrome is a resource hog. It also added adware to my MBA and make surfing almost impossible.

I live on the equator, it is the rainy season too. Fans only run fast when the temperature is up there, but with AC on in the afternoon, returns to normal speaks and is very quiet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.