Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ryan P

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 6, 2010
A super minimal 4K 60 rig. I’m using a Crucial X9 2TB, mounted via MagSafe. Can get 144min for 2TB. The X9 really good bang for buck. $70 for 1TB.

IMG_2040.jpeg

IMG_2041.jpeg

The mount comes with 2 options. A thick really strong MagSafe and a paper thin, probably strong enough MagSafe. Digging the ultra thin case as well.

If someone finds a 3.5” super flexible USB-C cable, let me know! It has to be flexible or it will pull the drive off the MagSafe.

Kierkegaarden

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2018
USA
Cool setup. The usb cable you list seems like a good match — are you concerned that it might pull on the drive too much?

Also, what do you think of the SmallRig cage or similar for a “case”? They are pretty minimalist, and you would have options to connect accessories.

Ryan P

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 6, 2010
Cool setup. The usb cable you list seems like a good match — are you concerned that it might pull on the drive too much?

Also, what do you think of the SmallRig cage or similar for a “case”? They are pretty minimalist, and you would have options to connect accessories.

The good/bad thing is if any excessive pressure is applied it will just pull off the MagSafe. Virtually no pressure as set up though. The bigger surface mount, increases the profile, but makes the MagSafe much stronger. With the slim one I am using, it is strong enough to handle moderate shacking of camera, but sometimes comes off in my pocket.

I'm just enthusiast level videographer, but going to try and see if I can grade some of the log footage I took today. Ideally, can do it on M2 iPad, but also have Resolve on Mac Pro. I'd like to be able to do professional looking travel videos as travel a lot.

dsteve

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2011
Thanks for the top pic showing the relative size of the drive to the phone. This looks really promising.

Ryan P

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 6, 2010
This is a USB-C port on a Bose portable speaker I destroyed. Doesn't take too much, so want to go with a solution that minimizes chance of doing it to iPhone port.

IMG_2053.jpeg

Reactions: StudioMacs

Ryan P

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 6, 2010
I managed to get the Apple ProRes Log footage into Davinci Resolve 18.6 on OS X. The needed preset are not currently on the iPad version. I kinda managed to get it looking good, but would be wonderful if someone who knows wtf they are doing did a tutorial on it. :)

Previewing on a 32" 4K monitor, the quality seems quite high, not quite at the level of my Sony FF with big glass, but it is not bad. Not very noisy in moderate lighting. Also, all the over sharpening seems gone.

Testing both with the Apple Camera app and the Black Magic app. Both seem to work well, but you have far more control with the Black Magic app, and you can apply LUTS in Phone.

Ryan P

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 6, 2010
Slight modification. The black USB-C cable I linked is actually slightly shorter than the same cable I already had in white. Good as it is sleeker, but I needed to put a little ziptie to reduce the pressure when bent. I also added a couple drops of super glue to the adhesive on the MagSafe ring, as it gets pretty warm right there, and it was causing the stick on adhesive to come off.

IMG_2043.jpeg

Also I figured how to correct the ProRes log in Davinci. Can do it either in the timeline settings, or as color node "Aces Transform"

Image 9-23-23 at 1.44 AM.jpeg

From the testing done so far, the log mode yields much less processed results than the HDR or SDR ProRes modes. The results look more like a professional camera than an iPhone.

I also tested vs the Blackmagic app, and it is pretty awesome, as long as you are going to lock the white balance and exposure down for each shot. If you want to let those adjust dynamically, then the Camera app does a much much better job of it.

Blackmagic does let you choose which ProRes codec you want to use, so you can save some space and use 422 LQ. It also let's you apply a LUT in phone so you can see something closer to the final result.

Last edited:

Cloudyskies22

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2023
I was thinking about getting this SSD. I have an old 2010 MacBook Pro which I doubt will update the firmware of this drive. Any advice? They don’t have an iOS app where you can update it connected to the phone so they? Thanks

Ryan P

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 6, 2010
I was thinking about getting this SSD. I have an old 2010 MacBook Pro which I doubt will update the firmware of this drive. Any advice? They don’t have an iOS app where you can update it connected to the phone so they? Thanks

You don't need to plug it into a Mac for it to work. It comes formatted with exFat and works as is. You just need usb-c ports, which I don't think you have. Really if you are going to work with the footage, the best bet is one of the Apple Silicon Macs as they have ProRes decoders. It is pretty intensive to work with, especially at 4K 60.

StoneJack

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2009
This is a fascinating thread, thanks OP! I bought iPhone Max Pro 13 for cinema video, sadly due to corona, did not use it that way too much (mostly used my Nikon Z 6 for video), but I have a small gimbal ready, and still have the paid version of the video app (forgot its name). I would mostly take smaller shots with the internal memory, but your experience is great! For video editing I use MBA m2 and a large Intel desktop with i9 10850 32GB of memory, the app is Final Cut Pro and sound is on Logic Pro.

Duradrum

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2017
4K 60 bitrate is nice

Attachments

• c38e1395-4c5a-434e-b798-0d23b44c898d.jpeg
    c38e1395-4c5a-434e-b798-0d23b44c898d.jpeg
    171.1 KB · Views: 86

Duradrum

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2017
Scrap that - just deleted and reinstalled the app and it’s there now. I downloaded the app when I had my 13 Pro, so I assume it needed a fresh download on the 15 PM to load the LOG mode.

Reactions: chfilm

Duradrum

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2017
Seems I can actually record in 4K60 LOG direct onto the phone in Blackmagic App.

I thought external SSD was required for this.
IMG_9629.jpeg

Ryan P

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 6, 2010
Next question! Did you manage to find the Apple LUT for iPhone?
Yes, I think it is free from Apple somewhere, but I was struggling to find it, so bought it for $25 in a LUT pack.

It is from the YouTuber here. It works well, in the app, but shouldn't be needed elsewhere, as the editors all supporting it natively.

Ryan P

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 6, 2010
Seems I can actually record in 4K60 LOG direct onto the phone in Blackmagic App.

I thought external SSD was required for this. View attachment 2277725

I saw that, didn't test it. Probably is a viable option, if you go with a lower bitrate codec or have a high storage iPhone. They support a lot that Apple isn't... I think their app is doing way less computational photography, likely freeing up the resources.

If you are doing a film, their app makes a ton of sense. If you are walking around your house taking videos...the ability of the Camera app to seamlessly adjust the exposure and white balance is nice. You can't even tell when the Camera app adjusts, but is very obvious if you let the Blackmagic app adjust those.

Cloudyskies22

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2023
You don't need to plug it into a Mac for it to work. It comes formatted with exFat and works as is. You just need usb-c ports, which I don't think you have. Really if you are going to work with the footage, the best bet is one of the Apple Silicon Macs as they have ProRes decoders. It is pretty intensive to work with, especially at 4K 60.
Thanks for your reply, I’m actually just wanting to use it for extra storage, not your implementation of the 4K 60 ProRaw video capture. I have a 128GB 15 Pro and yeah my laptop is the 2010 MacBook Pro which can no longer link up with new iPhones to get any data off them. The only way I can move data to that Mac anymore is to literally upload to iCloud and then download from iCloud to the Mac. It’s basically useless due to no more software updates for like 8 years or whatever it’s been now.

Isn’t this drive capable of formatting to APFS? Wouldn’t Apple’s file system be better compression or something? Also, I read some reviewer on Amazon state that they got higher read/write after updating firmware, but maybe they aren’t correct on that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.