Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

neogeo8

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 13, 2008
This game looks very good, but I am worried about the controls. Are they anything like or better than Biiball?? Becuase I think BiiBall's controls are great. Also, would you recomend Monkey Ball if I already have Bii Ball?

The other games I am considering are Enigmo, Texas Hold'em, and Trism, also possibly Line Rider. Are any or all of these games worth buying?

In addition I am considering Asphalt 4 or Crash Nitro Kart, but I think I will hold off for NFS. However, I might not get either because I already have Cro-Mag.

Any opinion is appreciated! Thanks!!!!

App1€

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2008
This game looks very good, but I am worried about the controls. Are they anything like or better than Biiball?? Becuase I think BiiBall's controls are great. Also, would you recomend Monkey Ball if I already have Bii Ball?

The other games I am considering are Enigmo, Texas Hold'em, and Trism, also possibly Line Rider. Are any or all of these games worth buying?

In addition I am considering Asphalt 4 or Crash Nitro Kart, but I think I will hold off for NFS. However, I might not get either because I already have Cro-Mag.

Any opinion is appreciated! Thanks!!!!

I'd have to say no. I had SMB since launch, and since launch they have been promising a patch to fix the controls and haven't delivered. The visuals are nice but I'd like it more if the controls were fixed. Texas Hold'em is very fun, but not so much if you are a real serious poker player, more of a casual app. Enigmo is fun, and now would be the time to buy since its discounted.

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
Never played biiball so can't speak for that game. However, I held off buying super monkey ball due to the negative reviews. After I finally purchased I regretted not purchasing sooner.

To me the controls are great. Not too sensitive and also not to the point where you have to move the phone on too great an angle to move. A slight bend in any direction and you're on your way. After about 20 mins I was use to game and control. I find it very controllable and even on boards with no rails and obstacles and can be pretty precise.

I find difficulty good as well. It's challenging as you progress but not impossible so it's a game you shouldn't get tired of easy. I still find it as fun as day one.

I have cro-mag. Got like Aug 26th I think. Prob played two races. Have to try that game out some more.

icewing

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2008
St Louis
I have both cro-mag and Crash - playing Crash more now...

I also bought Enigmo but have found the controls hard to use - maybe it's just me. I stopped playing it for now, will go back to it when the other apps get old.

I've really enjoyed Toy Bot Diaries, and the free Soduko Classic - I've been playing it a LOT!

Mastidon

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2008
Save your cash

SMB was great when it first came out to show off what the phone could do but the controls are aweful! To this day, I can not get passed the 7th level on the first world. Some peopel claim it is easy but to me, it is just bad programming on the controls. In short, save your cash.

brn2ski00

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2007
MA
Yeah, I bought SMB at launch as well and I don't play it very much.... The controls are simply too hard and I fall out every time. Once they get a patch out there so you can adjust the sensitivity of the controls, it will be better.

When I bought Cro-Mag, the first think I did was adjust the sensitivity. It made the game much more playable.

cohenspire

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2008
around dc
I had SMB since launch, and since launch they have been promising a patch to fix the controls and haven't delivered.

I think most people that have played the game noticed that the "fix" was implemented in the last update. I've had the game since launch and it took me awhile to get used to it at first. Once the last update came out a few people stated that they believed it was not made public, but in fact the new dead zone was larger. I noticed it instantly and the game is a whole lot easier to play. I've made it halfway through and that's not playing it excessively (well what i consider excessive).

Monkey Ball to me is an excellent game and i love it. I think it is addicting, the visuals are great, the controls are not hard anymore, and overall it's one of the better games out there for the iPhone with a great replay value.

These are just my opinions of course, but you would be missing out on this game if you listen to people complaining about the controls. It takes a few games to get used too, but like i said, with the new larger dead zone it's a lot easier to adapt and learn now.

kickpush

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2008
New York
I'd have to say no. I had SMB since launch, and since launch they have been promising a patch to fix the controls and haven't delivered. The visuals are nice but I'd like it more if the controls were fixed. Texas Hold'em is very fun, but not so much if you are a real serious poker player, more of a casual app. Enigmo is fun, and now would be the time to buy since its discounted.

They released an update for Super Monkey Ball awhile ago, maybe you should update.

I like this game, it's great when I'm bored or have nothing to do. I still haven't beat it yet, but the whole point of the game is for it to be challenging not easy. I think the problem is people get frustrated too easily and give up and call the game crap, it really isn't.

Crash is another one of my favorites - 1. Just because it's Crash 2. Because it's a great game and has re-playability. I'm at the last stage of story mode, I don't play it too often but it's the main game I play on my iPhone.

I think you'd be happy with either purchase. I haven't played any of the other games you listed besides Cro-Mag.

neogeo8

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 13, 2008
Thanks everyone!...I think I'll probably end up getting super monkey ball and just get used to the controls.

App1€

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2008
They released an update for Super Monkey Ball awhile ago, maybe you should update.

I like this game, it's great when I'm bored or have nothing to do. I still haven't beat it yet, but the whole point of the game is for it to be challenging not easy. I think the problem is people get frustrated too easily and give up and call the game crap, it really isn't.

Crash is another one of my favorites - 1. Just because it's Crash 2. Because it's a great game and has re-playability. I'm at the last stage of story mode, I don't play it too often but it's the main game I play on my iPhone.

I think you'd be happy with either purchase. I haven't played any of the other games you listed besides Cro-Mag.

I did update, and yeah maybe it was a tad easier, but it still didn't give me the option to adjust the sensitivity or the controls to suit me. I prefer things slowed down. Its just me any top of game shooter or racing and everything in between. I won't consistently play this game until I am able to do so.

Also another problem with the controls is that is won't let me center the accelerometer. I play most of my iPhone games in either a laying down position or a standing position. With the controls how they are now this is very uncomfortable because I need to be at obscure angles just to see the ball and keep the monkey steady.

With all the other games out there (800 or so) I really couldn't justify anyone purchasing this for $10.

Oh and I didn't just give up on the game either. When it first came out even though I found the controls annoying I still got to the 3rd world and about level 8 on hard, so I didn't just put it down I gave it a real fair shot.

*GG*

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2005
Scotland
SMB was great when it first came out to show off what the phone could do but the controls are aweful! To this day, I can not get passed the 7th level on the first world. Some peopel claim it is easy but to me, it is just bad programming on the controls. In short, save your cash.

I'm exactly the same. It is not an app I ever play as I never got passed that. I would always tell people to avoid it, if like me they are not used to gaming of this nature.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.