Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

felixen

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 13, 2009
Hey all,

For the past few days I have started seeing this super weird bug in the native camera app on my iPhone. The screen will constantly blink/lag rendering it impossible to take photos. If I switch to video mode it blinks faster until it eventually stops and behaves normal again. Switching back to photo mode it starts glitching again.

This happens both if I launch the camera app via the Lock Screen and if I launch it via the springboard. Killing the app and launching again didn’t help, nor did rebooting. I’m not sure why this started just a few days ago.

Any tips?

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
Not happening on my 13PM iOS 16.0.3. Might be hardware failure or might be something corrupt in iOS requiring a reinstall.

Samdh90

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2021
I am thinking @usagora is probably right. It looks like it can't focus at all. I would try a fresh install of iOS 16, make sure you have a backup first, in case the fresh install does not resolve anything. If the issue still occurs, restore the backup to your phone, then I would probably talk to Apple about it. It definitely could be a hardware issue with the camera.

Jstarr1113

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2022
Hello did you find a fix or any help with your issue? My iPhone 14 pro max has started doing the same thing a couple days ago.

Alex Cai

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2021
Looks like the iPhone is showing the blurring animations repeatedly (when you switch from photo to video), not failing to focus

VeeEllSee

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2022
I can't believe this is the solution/workaround (I feel so Windows Vista).
It is so simple, thanks for the random tip, @ManuCH .

I honestly thought that I damaged some hardware/caused water damage to the device unknowingly and awaiting its impending deterioration. :D:D

Reactions: ManuCH

pk0

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2009
My wife had this bug over the weekend. Rebooting fixed her issue too.

ckujawa

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2023
This is a software bug. A restart does fix it, but I have been able to fix quicker by turning off Live Photos and then back on. On videos, change from HD to 4K and it appears to fix it also. Hope that helps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.