Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rm5

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 4, 2022
United States
Hey,

Someone just gave me his Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, which I have sitting on my desk. He gave me a FireWire card, also. So, I hooked everything up, plugged in the FireWire card into my 5,1 Mac Pro, and selected the Saffire as the output device. I then played a song, and everything came through the headphones I had plugged in to the Saffire, and all was working well. That is until I restarted the Mac Pro, and now nothing works. It is detected in the output section of Sound preferences, but no sound is coming through. I know the interface works because I plugged in a mic and tested that and it worked just as it should. Also, Logic recorded the mic just fine.

Do you know how to fix this so that sound will come through the phones like it just was?

Thanks!

Last edited:

rm5

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 4, 2022
United States
And, I should clarify, I just restarted the computer—that's all I did.

Last edited:

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
Is any other sound output working on the Mac?

Could be a coincidental malfunction of the Focusrite. You'll probably need to test it on a different computer.

You could remove the FW card and start over…just to see if that gives it a kick.

rm5

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 4, 2022
United States
Yes, the internal speaker works, as well as when I plug in headphones to the Mac Pro, they work.

I tried reseating the FireWire card, and it still works—it's detected in Logic, and I can record stuff just fine. And I know the phones jacks work because I tested them both and I can monitor my recorded signal through the phones if I have a mic, etc. plugged in. Maybe it's a problem with the routing of the outputs, I'll have to play around with that in the MixControl software.

So it's clearly a problem with the Mac, not with the interface, but maybe I'm wrong. I don't have any other machines I can test it with because none of them have FW 400 ports.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.