Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Is it possible to remove my 27" iMac SuperDrive, buy some sort of cables/ports, and then make the SuperDrive work like an external dvd drive, connect it to a USB-C port?

hg.wells

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2013
Amazon > Mac USB-C Disk Drive

Easiest option and likely cheaper than getting your iMac SuperDrive to work as an external drive.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
I want to use the Superdrive thats mounted in my iMac... not sure what u mean

hg.wells

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2013
I’m saying it’s cheaper to buy an external cd/dvd drive than it will be to find the right cables for your iMacs super drive.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
For about the same (or not much more) that the adapter you posted in reply 7 above, you could buy a "standalone" USB2 or USB3 external DVD/CD burner, and use that.

Much easier and you DON'T have to pry open the iMac to get at it.

The newer external drive will work as well or even better than the built-in drive in the iMac.

I have seen genuine "open box" Apple external SuperDrives selling on ebay in the $35 range...

Reactions: hg.wells

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
It’s not that I need an optical drive to work… it’s that I’m dismantling my iMac and wanted to make use of everything available still working.

Last edited:

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"it’s that I’m dismantling my iMac and wanted to make use of everything available still working."

Ah, ok, you didn't say that.

I'm actually in a similar position now, a friend recycled a MacBook Pro and saved the DVD/CD drive (which he offered to me).

An enclosure will run $20-30.
But, there really aren't too many that are designed to accept slot-loading drives.
You need to measure the height of the drive (from the iMac).
Is it 9.5mm?
Or, is it 12.7mm?
You need to order the correct enclosure to fit.

I may try it, just for the satisfaction of seeing if it works.
But then again, I could spend $10-15 more for a genuine Apple SuperDrive (open box).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.