Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
I think the Superdrive in my G5 is starting to crap out. When I hit eject, it's hit or miss. Sometimes the drive will make a couple clicking noises and nothing happens, or sometimes it will eject. And it doesn't seem to be burning or reading as fast as it should. Can anyone recommend a drive that's fully compatible in Finder and Disc Burner? Thanks

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I recently updated mine with a Pioneer 110D

I flashed it with the latest firmware. Works no problem in my G5. iDVD, iTunes etc.. all work perfectly.

Toast recognises the Drive and too burns with no issues. Best £30 I spent on my G5 :D

xlr8yourmac.com have a drive compatabilty chart.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
MacRumorUser said:
I recently updated mine with a Pioneer 110D

I flashed it with the latest firmware. Works no problem in my G5. iDVD, iTunes etc.. all work perfectly.

Toast recognises the Drive and too burns with no issues. Best £30 I spent on my G5 :D

xlr8yourmac.com have a drive compatabilty chart.

Thanks, I'm most likley going to order that one here in a second.

How do you flash it on your Mac? I know most require a PC for flashing, and I'm produly a Mac only person :D

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
MacRumorUser said:
DVR Flash does the job :D

check out that link http://www.xlr8yourmac.com as they have all the links and files needed.

I ordered the drive through OWC today, it should be here tomorrow (one day shipping was a couple bucks more than ground, I couldn't resist) so we'll see how it goes. Never removed the optical drive in a PMG5, but I've built many-a-PCs in my life, so I should be able to figure this out.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
I was poking through that site, and I cant find much on flashing the drive. Could you possibly give me some instructions and links on where to download stuff? Thanks

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
The drive arrived today, I installed it. DOA :(

Good news is, OWC is shipping out a new one tomorrow and overnighting it here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.