Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fuzzy Orange

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 29, 2006
The SuperDrive in my Mac Pro sounds absolutely terrible. I dread having to burn anything to a disc because it sounds like a vacuum cleaner has been put into my Mac... is this a common problem? I know I can buy another drive and throw that in, but... after paying a bunch of money for this machine, it feels like everything should be perfect. Maybe I'm demanding too much of it, I guess. Any help is appreciated.

jroad

macrumors member
Mar 24, 2006
The SuperDrive in my Mac Pro sounds absolutely terrible. I dread having to burn anything to a disc because it sounds like a vacuum cleaner has been put into my Mac... is this a common problem? I know I can buy another drive and throw that in, but... after paying a bunch of money for this machine, it feels like everything should be perfect. Maybe I'm demanding too much of it, I guess. Any help is appreciated.

From what I gather, Apple ships either Sony (rebadged NEC) or Pioneer (111?) drives with the Mac Pro. The Sony drive, which I had, is loud and annoying. I upgraded the firmware but that didn't help. I bit the bullet and replaced it with a Pioneer 112D to maintain a sense of sanity.

Regards

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
Well, it's an annoying trait of the drive perhaps. It isn't a *problem* in the sense that you can get it serviced - the drive is supposed to sound like that. So yes, it is operating perfectly normally.

I actually like the sound, though. Makes it sound powerful.

Kuraudo

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2007
Well I ordered the newest Samsung drive because I had one before and it was purring like a quiet kitten. I also tried changing the firmware to NEC from Sony, but its no different, so that was nothing gained. Its annoying as its running all the way, all the time when watching any Music dvd or any dvd, its fan is very inefficient.
---------
Sorry to burst your bubble, I don't think its right to say the vacuum cleaner sound makes it sound powerful. I have owned and built a number of Computers with drives that perform quieter and better, so Thats just something to say to keep one content.
Its 33.00 so who needs a dvd rom serviced? Its simple enough and cheap enough to replace.

There isn't anything different with the sizing or connections with Pioneer so Im sure that the Samsung should work. My only worry is prying off the front bezel, I hope it will come off nicely and be able to put it on if i need to return. The pioneer Is out at newegg.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.