Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crazyskillz07

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 7, 2008
The superdrive in my new 24.GHz macbook makes a loud clicking noise when I first put in a disk. Is there something wrong with it or is this normal? I searched for an answer for this but I could not find anything.

mr.stinki

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2008
This is normal, mine does it too. Apple should really use better superdrives, those things are noisy!!

Hankster

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2008
Washington DC
All the drives do this. It's normal because the mechanism inside is grabbing the CD. When you start up the same sound occurs because the machine is checking if there's a CD in there.

Bobioden

macrumors 68000
Sep 23, 2007
Denver
How about when Macs wake up from sleep? My White Macbook makes a noise everytime. However, my father's Black Macbook is VERY quiet. Must be the different models?

That means that the drive thinks there is a disk in the drive. Probably the last CD/DVD was not ejected correctly. Insert a CD/DVD and make sure you eject it using the EJECT disk. This should solve your problem, as it will stop looking for a disk in the drive.

karenflower

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2007
That means that the drive thinks there is a disk in the drive. Probably the last CD/DVD was not ejected correctly. Insert a CD/DVD and make sure you eject it using the EJECT disk. This should solve your problem, as it will stop looking for a disk in the drive.

My Macbook has always made the drive noise after waking up from sleep, and I rarely use CD/DVDs. I thought it was normal? :confused:

aaron.lee2006

macrumors 65816
Feb 23, 2006
Ontario, Canada

No it is completely normal. They all do it. Don't worry your drive is fine, every current Mac notebook does it.

Bobioden

macrumors 68000
Sep 23, 2007
Denver
The only time mine makes that noise is when a CD/DVD is inserted. It never makes the noise when it has been to sleep. I never shut mine down so it it put to sleep a few time a day.

There were 2 different things asked here. The OP's was about the noise when a CD is inserted. Lucascsula asked about when hearing the same noise when his/hers Macbook is awoken from sleep.

vertikl

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2008
superdrive = sooo loud

seriously, i cannot believe that macbook pros, in all their elegance, need to have such a loud superdrive. is there any way to make them quieter?!?!?! seriously, mine is loud, and its annoying! whenever you turn it on, or wake from sleep it has to do it as mentioned above. there must be a way to quiet it down...without throwing it away lolz.

airjuggernaut

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2007
seriously, i cannot believe that macbook pros, in all their elegance, need to have such a loud superdrive. is there any way to make them quieter?!?!?! seriously, mine is loud, and its annoying! whenever you turn it on, or wake from sleep it has to do it as mentioned above. there must be a way to quiet it down...without throwing it away lolz.
It's APPLE MAN.
Don't you dare criticize Apple.
Steve Jobs will come to your house and BREAK you. :rolleyes:

vertikl

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2008
It's APPLE MAN.
Don't you dare criticize Apple.
Steve Jobs will come to your house and BREAK you. :rolleyes:

Well, if Steve comes to "BREAK" me, I'll simply tell him he has to fix the superdrive noise, then he can break me. you know, one right to counter one wrong...equilibrium hahah....

iDAG

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2007
Athens, Ohio
If you want a notebook that doesn't make the superdrive noise that annoys everyone and me, you should get a MacBook Air. :cool:

vertikl

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2008
haha. Excellent idea... I will sure to buy a Air once they put in a nvidia 8800m gtx =o Until then though, I'm sticking with the noisy Pro =)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.