Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacMama79

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 18, 2020
If I were to insert my old Adobe CS disc into a Superdrive, would that allow me to run the programs (i.e. Illustrator, Photoshop, Acrobat) on my new iMac? I got the computer earlier this year, but the old Adobe programs are fine for my needs as I only create for fun, not professionally! I really don't want to subscribe to the cloud for the few times I want to get a little creative.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
You can try that and see what happens.
You will find out very quickly if your Adobe apps will run on the newer Mac.

It would help if you can tell us which CS version you have. CS? CS4? CS6? Some other version?
Even CS 6 has problems when using on Sierra (macOS 10.12) or newer, and cannot work on the current latest macOS 10.15 (Catalina)

Maybe you can use other kinds of software (not Adobe) for your needs?
Here's listing of some other apps that can give you results similar to Photoshop - https://www.unlockboot.com/photoshop-alternatives-mac/

Or, search for "Alternatives to InDesign for Mac", or whatever Adobe app that you like to use.
Some are even free, and others offer free use of the software, to give you a good chance to decide if you want to purchase the app.

Reactions: MacMama79

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
No apps previous to Adobe Creative Cloud are going to run on a new Mac. Those are all 32-bit apps (or the installer is 32-bit and simply won't let you install the app). Any Mac running Catalina isn't going to let you run 32-bit apps, and I don't believe you can easily "downgrade" from Catalina to Mojave on the new Macs.

You COULD get a Virtual Machine app like Parrallels to run the older OS to run those older apps in a virtual machine just fine.

MacMama79

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 18, 2020
Thank you both for the info! DeltaMac, I'll check out those other apps to see if they will work for me. I really hate that Apple is trying to force people to commit to a subscription for something.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.