Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PortlandMacUser

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2003
Portland, OR USA
This evening as I went to load a CD, I found that my SuperDrive on my TiBook would not accept the disc. I tried a DVD and it too was spit out. I tried a CD-ROM, same thing. I repaired permissions, restarted, and tried again. No dice. The drive grinds as if it wants to play the disc, but then, grudgingly, refuses it. As a test, I tried putting the disc in upside down (ink side down), and the drive spit it out even faster. I wouldn't think the drive is old enough to have died, and it worked just yesterday. Any thoughts?

PortlandMacUser

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2003
Portland, OR USA
Update on my situation

Here's an update: Today, about 18 hours after I noticed my SuperDrive wouldn't accept any discs, my AC adapter ceased to operate. I do not know if the adapter is dead or if the TiBook doesn't recognize the adapter. I have a weird feeling that these are somehow connected incidents.

These are the first two problems I've had since buying the TiBook last August. I reset the PMU, no luck there. I tried the shut down, remove the battery and adapter, let it rest for ten minutes, press ctrl-option-Apple key-power button for ten seconds method, but no luck there either.

What do you think?

titaniumducky

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2003
It sounds to me like your SuperDrive has died. It could also have something stuck in it. Were there any lables on that cd? Could anything have been forced inside the drive? Is the computer still under warrenty? If so, call Apple. I too have a TiBook with a SuperDrive and have never had any problems.

As for the power adapter, do you have any friends with PowerBooks? As long as it is the same type of power adapter, try it out and see what happens. If it still doesn't work it has to be the PowerBook causing the problems.

Muskie

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2003
Minneapolis
similar problem?

Hi guys.

I seem to have a similar problem. However, only with dvds. Any dvd i put in my (stock) combo drive gets spit out. Whether it be a game or a movie, no DVD gets read, and is spit out in about 10 seconds. CDs work fine. I can even import cds to iTunes with no problem. I would like to think my drive isn't dead or dying, but this seems like it may be the case. Any ideas?

Thanks

Scarlet Fever

macrumors 68040
Jul 22, 2005
Bookshop!
what are the specs of your powerbook?

I had a similar problem with my 667MHz 15" CD-ROM powerbook. It just kept on spitting out discs. I found that getting a cleaning disc solved the problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.