Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macphisto

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2002
At home
I, myself, am holding out for the new powermacs with the blue laser burning capability super duper drives. WTBN! :)

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Originally posted by JSRockit

I understand...and agree that if I was going to grab one...it would be DVD-R...but why are other companies trying to push other DVD formats if DVD-R has been established as THE format.

Companies are in existance to sell stuff. If they generate a new format and push it down enough peoples' throats, others will have to buy it. At least that is the theory they're running by.

If all they had was the same thing, they would have to be competative with their competitors. If the +R format wasn't around, there would be more competition in the -R market and the prices would drop a bit faster.

In computer stores I see people staring at the DVD media and getting confused and sometimes buy the wrong thing due to the competing formats.

wormy

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 5, 2002
I appreciate everyones input. I started this thread because I am going to be buying a new mac as soon as they upgrade the current line-up (which'll hopefully be Jan since this is killing me). I'm going to be using this new baby of mine as the foundation of a new video production company I hope to start up soon (oh Final Cut, how I love you). Im interested in the superdrive-speed-upgrade issue since I forsee myself burning a lot of dvds...and speed will probably be an issue with dealines and all...so i'm just debating on nixing the superdrive, and buying a separate faster dvd burner. but being an anal minimalist and all, I hate external drives...and the G4 looks so damn pretty that it would be a shame to have some ugly bulky burner hanging around. so apple if you're listening- upgrade the superdrive!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.