Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pc_convert?

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 18, 2002
UK
The Register and New Scientist are reporting that there maybe problems with the superdrive and high speed media that could result in the destruction of your superdrive.

A firmware patch is going to be made available.

Please warn anyone you know that has a superdrive.

medea

macrumors 68030
Aug 4, 2002
Madison, Wi
only the mac update page is still not available........its "under construction" but how hard is it to throw an update up on a page.....

SPG

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2001
In the shadow of the Space Needle.
Here's the deal as I remember it...when you put media into a DVD burner it shines the laser on it to detect what kind of media it is. In the case of the new 4x DVD-R media the 104 and 103 drives can't figure it out and so the laser keeps shining on it locked up for about five minutes at which point the drive is now burnt out.
"So I won't buy any 4x media!" you say?
That won't really do the trick since even though this media will be available soon as 4x media (when Pioneer releases the 105 aka A05 4xDVD-R drives), but in the meantime there is a very good chance that some of this media will hit shelves labeled as 2x media.
"So I'll keep buying the stuff I have been using." you say?
Many of the brands out there are comprised of many different manufactured products rebranded for sale under more consumer aware brand names, so it's hard to know if you're even getting the same media twice in identical packaging.
"So what do we do?"
Harass Pioneer and Apple to release a firmware update, or wait for the release of the cheaper faster better A05 4x drive from Pioneer.

ShaolinMiddleFinger

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2001
If you still have Applecare, just burn whenever you need to. Theoretically, Apple will replace it if it doesn't work, right?:confused:

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
when your imac actually encounters a problem, your drive will already be dead. it's not like it gives you a two-day warning that it's going to burn out. any why go through the hassle of having apple replace it (and cost to our favorite company) when you could do a quick firmware update. seriously, think a little...

:)
pnw

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.