Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikae1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 18, 2021
Hi!

I have a MacBook Pro (13-inch, M1, 2020) and a I want to make a 1:1 migration of the system to a new 16" M1 Max MacBook Pro.

Can I do this with SuperDuper! like I used to do in the good ole Intel days? That is, create a disk image with SuperDuper! and restore it to the new machine by booting to recovery and restore it from disk utility.

I remember hearing something about macOS builds these these are model specific. Is that correct?

I know there's the Migration Assistant, but I'm unsure if this really create a 1:1 copy of the drive (with my Homebrew installation and everything outside /Users/ intact).

Perhaps I should add that I'm running a completely up to date Monterey install on the "old" MacBook Pro (that would be used to create the image).

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
You cannot "clone" a SuperDuper backup to a new Mac.
BUT THIS WILL NOT BE A PROBLEM.

You CAN use a backup drive (created by SuperDuper or CarbonCopyCloner) as the "drive you wish to migrate from" while using setup assistant with the new Mac.

Step-by-step:
1. When the new Mac arrives, before you open the box, connect your SuperDuper backup to the old Mac and run it one last time.
2. As the backup is running, take the new Mac out of the box and set it on the table.
DO NOT OPEN THE LID YET (it will boot automatically if you do).
3. Let the SuperDuper backup complete. Now disconnect the drive from the old Mac, and connect it to the NEW Mac.
4. NOW it's time to open the lid -- it will boot by itself as soon as the lid is opened.
5. Begin working through the setup. At the appropriate moment, setup assistant will ask if you wish to migrate from another drive. YES, you do.
6. "Aim" setup assistant at the backup drive and give it time to digest things (this will take a while, so be patient).
7. Setup assistant will present you with a list of stuff to be migrated.
IT'S UP TO YOU what to bring over. I suggest you just "bring it all" and click continue.
8. The migration will take a while, so be patient.
9. When done, you should see your login screen.

BE AWARE that older apps may require updating, and also be aware that 32 bit apps won't run at all. They're history on the m-series Macs.

Good luck!
(print this post out and check it off as you go along)

OSXphoto

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2013
Hey @Fishrrman thank you for the write up. I enjoyed reading it and will just give you kudos especially now that the OP hasn't replied to your kind post (yet).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.