Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

John Eeee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 15, 2020
New York, NY
With these "trial" deals and once-every-four year HDD/SSD swap out I didn’t really have to pay for Superduper but I'm a happy customer so I did. I tried Carbon Copy Cloner first, and granted I bumped the USB a few times and re-started the dupe, but theirs FAILED to make a bootable backup. Urgh. As I’m you know when you’re dealing with a “mid 2012” MacBook moving 600gb takes over SATA takes 8 hours over USB 2.0 (I replaced a 1TB HDD with a 1TB SSD), so if it fails you have to START OVER, a heavy price to pay. Superduper just worked, first time, and if your dealing with this “Catalina” (Apple just.keeps.changing.everything) you have two choices (CCC and Superduper) basically. Great, great product, reasonably priced and does what it says it does, period. This was overall (including the CCC failure) a 24-hour project (typing this into a mid-2012 MacBook Pro that is actually usable and pretty fast now)... If anyone cares used a Crucial MX500 SSD 1TB, don't forget the SATA cable (!) Woohoo!

tommiy

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2015
Never had an issues with CCC failing to make a bootable backup. Both a great products. Reminds me to backup for the week.

Reactions: jdogg836

John Eeee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 15, 2020
New York, NY
Never had an issues with CCC failing to make a bootable backup. Both a great products. Reminds me to backup for the week.
Fair enough note that the CCCC dupe was interrupted by my human error (accidentally bumping a loose USB), so my bad, but the documentation did say that it would recover from interruptions which it didn’t... this was more meant as a + for SuperDuper than neg for CCC...

tommiy

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2015
No probs I'm always super cautious doing backups to not interupt it because the intent is to use it in an emergency and the last thing I relly want to be doing is testing that software handles interruptions when making a bootable backup. Goood to know that CCC may not handle that instance. I'll keep that in mind but its not some thing that I'm likely to use. Thanks for the information though.

spyguy10709

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2010
One Infinite Loop, Cupertino CA
There is a little more to CCC than that. Version 5 is excellent and worth 30$ for sure.

Not trying to start a flame war here, genuinely curious - I've used CCC long ago when it was freeware almost a decade ago, not really since. Poking around their website, I'm not sure what can justify the price tag other than ease of use and potentially incremental backups. What is it you find useful about the suite?

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: either SuperDuper! or Carbon Copy Cloner will do the job, and both are great! I use SuperSuper! (SD), and it has never failed me. Used the free version for about a year, and was glad to pay the $27.95 for the paid version. And Shirt Pocket Software has never charged a single penny for upgrades to SD.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.