Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macstatic

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 21, 2005
Norway
We've just received an iPad from school, but when connecting to the Mac and starting iTunes (in order to back up its contents) I get a complaint saying "This iPad is supervised by another computer and cannot be used with this computer".

supervised.png

What does it mean, why is it there, and how am I supposed to back up the iPad?
It's a 6th generation iPad with 32GB running IOS 12.4. I'm trying to back it up in iTunes 12.6.2.20/OSX 10.9.5.

macstatic

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 21, 2005
Norway
I see.
I assume the school backs up files which are uploaded by the students, but what about files the student is working on and is still on the iPad? Would the school be monitoring each student's iPad whenever they're online (and automatically backup any changes), or is everything on the iPad until he/she actively sends the file to the teacher/school?

Are there ways to back up the student's files locally, to my Mac in other ways than using iTunes?

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
You can copy your files to a Mac in several ways...

1. Email them to yourself.
2. Airdrop them to your Mac.
3. Turn on iCloud and have them both sync and backup automatically.

posguy99

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2004
I see.
I assume the school backs up files which are uploaded by the students, but what about files the student is working on and is still on the iPad? Would the school be monitoring each student's iPad whenever they're online (and automatically backup any changes), or is everything on the iPad until he/she actively sends the file to the teacher/school?

You should ask the school for answers to these questions.

Reactions: s15119 and DeltaMac

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
Check to see if iCloud is enabled - especially iCloud backup and iCloud Drive. If it is, then that is the method the school has chosen. They may have also given your child access to a school website or app where they can save their work.

Generally, schools do give students a method for saving their work to the cloud. As has already been said, you should consult your child's school to learn what method has been provided.

When schools issue iPads to students they take steps to prevent the students (and their parents) from changing the configuration of the iPad. iTunes is blocked, as iTunes is one of the ways a "normal" iPad would be erased/reconfigured.

macstatic

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 21, 2005
Norway
Check to see if iCloud is enabled - especially iCloud backup and iCloud Drive. If it is, then that is the method the school has chosen. They may have also given your child access to a school website or app where they can save their work.

Generally, schools do give students a method for saving their work to the cloud. As has already been said, you should consult your child's school to learn what method has been provided.

When schools issue iPads to students they take steps to prevent the students (and their parents) from changing the configuration of the iPad. iTunes is blocked, as iTunes is one of the ways a "normal" iPad would be erased/reconfigured.

I couldn't find any iCloud/iCloud drive on the iPad, but I'll take another look.
The kids have been instructed to use a specific app for uploading their assignments and reading what to do etc. and that works fine, but this doesn't help work that is being worked on, thus not already uploaded yet.
So I was hoping for a way to back up the iPad files locally for that.

Yes, indeed -I had forgotten about iTunes being able to erase an iPad, which is probably the reason as you say they've set up restrictions.

I'm going to ask the school for more info about all of this as it's obviously not self-explanetory.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.