Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

anjanesh

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 20, 2010
Navi Mumbai
I was just thinking how I should've waited for 13" M3 Air 24GB+2TB before getting the 13" M2 Air 24GB+2TB in October 2023.
But I see this on the M3 product page :

Support for up to two external displays (with the laptop lid closed)

I mean, even if I had gone with M3 Air, I wouldn't be able to use a total of 3 screens ? (laptop screen + 2 external monitors) ?
With same max hardware config - the only upgrade is the chip number ?

Is M3 Air any way far far better than M2 Air ?

Chuckeee

macrumors 68000
Aug 18, 2023
Southern California
The M3 MacBook Air will support 2 external displays only in clam shell mode, in other words only when the lid is closed and the internal display is off/disabled

It is not clear if this capability can be utilized on an M2 MacBook Air. It is currently not.

Reactions: AlexJoda

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Clamshell mode sounds great on paper. But it means you have to bring your own keyboard, mouse, speakers, and webcam, and Touch ID. In reality, most people don’t want to do that, so clamshell mode dual-monitor really doesn’t help most users.

Chuckeee

macrumors 68000
Aug 18, 2023
Southern California
Clamshell mode sounds great on paper. But it means you have to bring your own keyboard, mouse, speakers, and webcam, and Touch ID. In reality, most people don’t want to do that, so clamshell mode dual-monitor really doesn’t help most users.
It is oriented towards how many typically set up work stations. Much more a business mode installation as opposed to a home installation.

geta

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2010
The Moon

That would be good option if you’re docking your MBA in your working station that always equipped with dual screens and everything else regularly.

Reactions: Chuckeee

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
That would be good option if you’re docking your MBA in your working station that always equipped with dual screens and everything else regularly.

In many cases, people use the keyboard and speakers on the MacBook Air because they're good enough. Even if you buy a Magic Keyboard, it's the exact same size as the one on MacBook Air.

For a hot desking environment, users may carry a wireless mouse in their bag, but not a USB keyboard.

office-design-3-2.jpg

anjanesh

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 20, 2010
Navi Mumbai
I got the 13" MBA M2 specifically for travel but home I have two 27" Dell monitors and realized that only the Pro models of MacBooks support more than 2 monitors with the laptop screen making it 3 screens because of the graphic card.

geta

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2010
The Moon
In many cases, people use the keyboard and speakers on the MacBook Air because they're good enough. Even if you buy a Magic Keyboard, it's the exact same size as the one on MacBook Air.

For a hot desking environment, users may carry a wireless mouse in their bag, but not a USB keyboard.

View attachment 2355592

Thats why I wrote ‘if’… ;)

Also fully equipped with everything means - keyboard, mouse, speakers, dual screens and whatever else you need as part of your working station/office/working space, and then when come, you just need to connect/dock your MBA and forget it exists.

And if you need to use the build-in MBA’s keyboard, mouse and speakers, the new dual screen option is not relevant.

Reactions: Chuckeee

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
Thats why I wrote ‘if’… ;)

Also fully equipped with everything means - keyboard, mouse, speakers, dual screens and whatever else you need as part of your working station/office/working space, and then when come, you just need to connect/dock your MBA and forget it exists.

And if you need to use the build-in MBA’s keyboard, mouse and speakers, the new dual screen option is not relevant.
If one already has 2 monitors I think only a mouse and a keyboard (with TouchID) will be needed. For speakers just use the monitor's one.

Apple-MacBook-Air-lifestyle-display-support-240304_big.jpg.large_2x.jpg

Reactions: geta and Chuckeee

AlexJoda

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2015
If one already has 2 monitors I think only a mouse and a keyboard (with TouchID) will be needed. For speakers just use the monitor's one.

Apple-MacBook-Air-lifestyle-display-support-240304_big.jpg.large_2x.jpg
I am still thinking that a separate desktop computer like the Mac Mini is the better solution….

Reactions: geta

ctjack

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2020
The biggest thing that stood out to me: av1 codec in m3. Basically your youtube videos should stop lagging when running in 4k hdr 60 fps or 8k videos.

Reactions: mango316 and geta

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
It just occurred to me that even though Apple still labels the Thunderbolt ports on the M3 MacBook Air as Thunderbolt 3 they could potentially qualify as Thunderbolt 4 since the M3 MacBook Air now supports two displays. I don't know if the need for clamshell mode disqualifies the M3 MBA or if Apple just didn't bother since there is no real world difference.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.