Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dayo

macrumors 68020
Dec 21, 2018
That is what duet is doing.
DUET allows a Legacy UNIT to execute uEFI BOOT on ports that support such boots.
The OP wants a uEFI UNIT to run Legacy BOOT on ports that DO NOT support this.

Note differing positions of "Boot" and "Unit":

SUBJECTUNIT TYPEBOOT TYPE
DUETLegacyuEFI
OPuEFILegacy

While a cMP, as with most early uEFI units, can run Legacy Boot without issue on ports that support Legacy Boot, the OP wants this on ports (PCIe) not designed to boot such on cMP.

just need to understand how CSM iMac differs from CMP
Legacy boot requires BIOS Interrupt Call 13hex (INT 13h).
cMP does not have INT 13h on the PCIe ports.
No INT 13h = No Legacy Boot.

Infer difference from above.

Last edited:

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018
DUET allows a Legacy UNIT to execute uEFI BOOT on ports that support such boots.
The OP wants a uEFI UNIT to run Legacy BOOT on ports that DO NOT support this.
Got it thanks. In this case the OP should grab the iMac firmware, disassemble it, grab the cMP firmware disassemble it. Compare the firmwares and add the missing call. Easy :D.
Or OP ca try NOPing the function call (if possible) with opencore by finding what program is calling it.
Also OP can disassemble the option ROM of the Samsung 950 pro and analyze it. Again easy peasy 😂

Last edited:

Dayo

macrumors 68020
Dec 21, 2018
OP could compare firmware and add the missing bit etc.
Apparently possible ... along with emulating the item as @joevt suggested here:

It was all sounding good until he started talking about me patching RefindPlus to look at things further.

I have penciled that in for consideration after retirement and completing a few things on the post-retirement bucket list. OK, an exaggeration, but let's just say it is not a current priority.

@tsialex did point the OP to an OpenCore dev that might entertain the idea earlier in this thread.

Last edited:

Dayo

macrumors 68020
Dec 21, 2018
The utility is called FlashBoot Pro 3.2x. The developer is aware of the 1024x768 problem.

Took a look at the FlashBoot website and found this:
Jun, 24 of 2023 Minor update 3.3p released.

Hardware compatibility improvements for "Windows 7 installation to the modern computers" feature.

Starting from this version, VGA emulation patch for UEFI loader skips GOP video modes which are advertised by UEFI firmware but do not fit into the firmware-allocated framebuffer. This fixes black screen problem for recent nVidia GPUs whose UEFI Option ROM truncates UEFI GOP framebuffer to 1024x768 but leaves higher-resolution video modes in the UEFI GOP mode table.

Schprecher

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 11, 2015
FlashBoot
I really hope that my 29 bucks will not be laughed at when I buy version 3.3q
but I'll check.

Yes, this will solve the problem with Windows 7 for many people who will say - this is cool! that you can, for example, install the system on a relatively fresh Mac.

but the problem of legacy and permission to use nvme will not give you peace to just forget it.

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018
then does iMac 27 2013 have CSM? or....
Apple only implemented legacy support for PCIe connected drives with later Macs that have Thunderbolt.
The iMac "Core i5" 3.4 27-Inch Aluminum (Late 2013/Haswell) features a 22 nm "Haswell". Connectivity includes four USB 3.0 ports, dual Thunderbolt ports, Gigabit Ethernet, 802.11ac Wi-Fi (802.11a/b/g/n compatible), and Bluetooth 4.0.

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018
It might be possible (or I could be wrong) that if you bring thunderbolt functionality to the cMP and you connect the NVME through thunderbolt to achieve what you want. Like I said before, without testing it is a pure shot in the dark.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
It might be possible (or I could be wrong) that if you bring thunderbolt functionality to the cMP and you connect the NVME through thunderbolt to achieve what you want.

Ahn? There is absolutely ZERO support for TB inside the Mac Pro BootROM. Why do you think that just adding a TB adapter that barely works will bring any support for Legacy OS with NVMe?!? No Interrupt 13h support for PCIe with the MacPro5,1 firmware, adding a TB card won't change that.

Only Macs that support UEFI Class 2 have support for PCIe INT 13h.

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018
I was thinking more like adding option ROM to the NVME. AFAIK the thunderbolt firmware has been modified to make it work on the cMP. Isn’t that how Samsung 950 pro boots on systems without INT 13h? Through option ROM?

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
I was thinking more like adding option ROM to the NVME. AFAIK the thunderbolt firmware has been modified to make it work on the cMP. Isn’t that how Samsung 950 pro boots on systems without INT 13h? Through option ROM?

Even if it is via INT 13h, we are supposing that is just the INT 13h and nothing more is required like some sort of NVMe EFI module, Samsung 950 is not compatible with Macs. I have one here and tested it extensively, does not even work anymore with recent Intel UEFI class 3 motherboards (only have SecureBoot and no more CSM), while still work with recent AMD ones.

Most OPROMs designed for PCs are not compatible with Macs, see Samsung 950, Sonnet Tempo that mess with the Boot Picker and all other PCIe cards that do not work with Macs or behave very badly in one way or the other when installed to one.

Reactions: startergo

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018
Down in the same thread there is actually a successful BIOS upgrade
But unfortunately for Phoenix/Award mainboard BIOS.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Down in the same thread there is actually a successful BIOS upgrade
But unfortunately for Phoenix/Award mainboard BIOS.

Flawed idea for the discussion of this thread, since won't add INT 13h support for the Mac Pro for a PCIe drive and the 950 PRO OPROM is not compatible with Macs.

Reactions: startergo

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Must be some specific firmware as the one I have (Tempo Pro) can boot fine Windows. I have to double check if it can boot both Legacy and UEFI Windows.

Old plain Sonnet Tempo from early 2010s. I have one and @h9826790 also have it:

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018
Mine is slightly different:
It looks like I can boot EFI Windows there. Will check Legacy too.
If the error is 0x80300024 there is a workaround:

Schprecher

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 11, 2015
Guys, we are already going way off topic.

If anyone has the opportunity to buy the latest version of Flashboot pro 3.3q for testing, I would be very grateful.

Due to the payment system and the place where I live, I can’t buy this program.

perhaps it will solve all the problems for users of windows 7 on CMP and new macbooks

Dayo

macrumors 68020
Dec 21, 2018
Here is a crazy thought.

If you could find a way to get a Legacy Windows instance on the NVMe stick, by cloning it for instance, I think there is a chance you might be able to boot it with rEFInd or RefindPlus as I can't see anywhere it might need INT 13h input in the code for booting Legacy/CSM. Need to test this at some point to verify.

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018
Here is a crazy thought.

If you could find a way to get a Legacy Windows instance on the NVMe stick, by cloning it for instance, I think there is a chance you might be able to boot it with rEFInd or RefindPlus as I can't see anywhere it might need INT 13h input in the code for booting Legacy/CSM. Need to test this at some point to verify.
In the case of Windows 7 it will still need the Nvme driver installed and some Hotfix if I am not mistaken?

Dayo

macrumors 68020
Dec 21, 2018
I am assuming any other stuff for the stick to work is present (If running Mac OS or just a data drive for instance).

Might be off base that the interrupt can be bypassed by these as the code only goes as far as loading a child image after getting device paths etc from the MBR and other requirements are probably triggered by the image.

Just need to check at some point.

EDIT
You maybe meant the driver within the OS for NVME support. Yes, this would definitely be needed.
I will test on Windows 10 which should have this support in place.

Last edited:

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018

Dayo

macrumors 68020
Dec 21, 2018
Found weird hack
Difficult read and didn't read all, but looks like creating a pseudo uEFI disk setup and using DUET to boot as it does for legacy units, as the subject one, to boot real uEFI setups.

The legacy board probably had INT 13h everywhere but as @tsialex hinted earlier, some other limitation might have been what was preventing NVMe boot on the unit and needed to be hacked accordingly.

Last edited:

Schprecher

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 11, 2015
maxresdefault.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.