Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

3:16

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 18, 2018
I’m using an iPhone 4s on iOS 6, but can’t find any apps that support iOS 6, Can someone list me Apps that still support iOS 6 (Please).

Reactions: rafark

Banglazed

macrumors 601
Apr 17, 2017
Cupertino, CA
I doubt there are many apps left that still are supported on iOS 6 since Apple will purge apps if developers abandon or failed to update their apps after awhile and developers use latest SDK to build their apps then slowly decapitate support for older iOS.

It is an outdated software...

Last edited:

Royksöpp

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2013
I downgraded my old 4s for nostalgic sake and I can confirm that Netflix, YouTube, and Spotify run.

Reactions: 3:16

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 18, 2018
It is an outdated software...
Please........!
At least it’s non buggy and completely stable. Unlike iOS 11:mad:
If you want app support go to iOS 9, most current apps run on it.
iOS 9 is mess on 4S. Runs like a turtle :-(
I downgraded my old 4s for nostalgic sake and I can confirm that Netflix, YouTube, and Spotify run.
Thanks;
Actually I’m looking for a video and audio download apps.

Reactions: Altis

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
The YouTube app doesn't even work, they blocked it a few weeks ago.
Please........!
At least it’s non buggy and completely stable. Unlike iOS 11:mad:

iOS 9 is mess on 4S. Runs like a turtle :-(

Thanks;
Actually I’m looking for a video and audio download apps.
Yeah you have to balance what's more important to you, performance or features.

Reactions: TRDmanAE86

Altis

macrumors 68040
Sep 10, 2013
The YouTube app doesn't even work, they blocked it a few weeks ago.

Yeah you have to balance what's more important to you, performance or features.

Sounds like OP wants performance and apps that run, rather than features.

iSearch

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2015
The YouTube app stopped working a while ago, so unless you have modified the .ipa file to spoof a higher version, it won't work.

Royksöpp

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2013
I did not know that it stopped working. It's been almost a month since I messed with it.

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
Sounds like OP wants performance and apps that run, rather than features.
Problem is iOS 6 has an issue with "apps that run". You have to balance things out for your use case. Right now the only options for 4s are iOS 6, 8 or 9.

Personally I find iOS 6 is fun to play with for a bit, but iOS 9 has far more utility in current times regardless of poor performance.

Altis

macrumors 68040
Sep 10, 2013
Problem is iOS 6 has an issue with "apps that run". You have to balance things out for your use case. Right now the only options for 4s are iOS 6, 8 or 9.

Personally I find iOS 6 is fun to play with for a bit, but iOS 9 has far more utility in current times regardless of poor performance.

I just had to put my 4S from iOS 6 to iOS 9 in an attempt to use it as a backup phone, but it was so abysmally slow and laggy that it was just a brick. Completely useless device unless you have the patience of a saint.

Reactions: brigante and 3:16

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 18, 2018
I just had to put my 4S from iOS 6 to iOS 9 in an attempt to use it as a backup phone, but it was so abysmally slow and laggy that it was just a brick. Completely useless device unless you have the patience of a saint.
Completely agree!!

iPhone 4s running on iOS 9 is a complete snail......

I won’t even touch it.

Reactions: brigante and Altis

TRDmanAE86

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2015
New England
If worse comes to worse, try getting a app on your computer first before going into iCloud on the iOS 6 4S and downloading it from there. That way, you can download the app in compatibility mode.

For me, I found it surprising that Dropbox still works without a fuss!
Also, Instagram works (except for Direct Messages which stopped functioning sometime back in 2015 when they updated how DM's work)

Now with YouTube its usable on iOS 6 but, somewhat a hassle to get working. If you close the app or, it crashes, you'll get a message that says "update to continue". Being on iOS 6, you'll be stuck in a loop with the app when the message appears.

However, I found a funny glitch for users can who arn't jailbroken to bypass the issue

If you open the app and it displays the update to continue message, you can delete the app and re-download it from the App store. and then re-sign in to bypass this message. As long as you don't close out off the app [or it does not crash], you can still watch videos you subscribed to (As of last week, I can no longer comment on a video or add any new videos to a existing playlist. )

I've probably re-downloaded the app over 100 times on my 4th gen iPod Touch since Spring Break when this issue popped up on my end.

______________________________________________________________________________________________

I linked a forum discussing the jailbreak bypass method bellow.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I know Dolphin works. Dolphin is a web browser.

Dropbox works. Google app works. My Alarm Clock (digital clock app) works and iStat works.

In the case of iStat, I am referring to a much older version which I do not believe is available on the app store for those who did not previously download it.

I have an 8GB 4s on 6.1.3.

Reactions: 3:16 and TRDmanAE86

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
I know Dolphin works. Dolphin is a web browser.

Dropbox works. Google app works. My Alarm Clock (digital clock app) works and iStat works.

In the case of iStat, I am referring to a much older version which I do not believe is available on the app store for those who did not previously download it.

I have an 8GB 4s on 6.1.3.
The newest version of Google still works?

Louoscat870

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2018
I’m using an iPhone 4s on iOS 6, but can’t find any apps that support iOS 6, Can someone list me Apps that still support iOS 6 (Please).
[doublepost=1540072018][/doublepost]Uhhh
I hv an I phone 4 and there's not much you can get : you can get
: -colour switch
-subway surfers
-face time
- over wi-fi txting apps
-and more...

That's not all but there's not much else I don't get many apps on the I phone 4 thou

Joel García

macrumors newbie
Jun 1, 2019
I am currently using an iPhone 5 running iOS 6.1.4 and I can tell you that the following apps work:

iTunes U
Remote
iBooks
Podcasts
Find Friends
Find iPhone
Khan Academy
Bible
Speedtest
SkyAlert
SmartGlass (Xbox app)
Checkers FS5
Touch4
Top Eleven
Color Switch
Stack
Monument Valley
PvZ Free
Geometry Dash
Checkers
Minecraft PE
Blocks Classic
Pac Man
FS5 Hockey
Tempo
GuitarTuna
FaceBook Pages
Spotify
Shazam
Amazon
Mercado Libre
FaceBook
YouTube
Wallpapers HD
RenWeb
Google Translator
FaceBook Messenger
Instagram
Twitter
AnTuTu Benchmark
iMessage
Passbook
Stocks
Game Center

Reactions: pablo.br

ios 6.1.3

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2019
Hello, Im thinking to get an iphone 4s with ios 6.1.3 Could you tell me if Maps, Siri and wechat are working?
Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.