Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheMacPotato

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 3, 2006
London
I have an old 2007 iMac that I occasionally boot up and (mainly to use its Superdrive!). The machine, despite its age still works remarkably well. However Safari and Chrome no longer work (due to a change in how SSL certificates are validated) and Firefox stopped supporting the OS in November last year, meaning that (although it still works), it no longer receives security updates. I don't really browse the web that much on the machine (as it the OS gets no security updates), but it is still good for light browsing (watching YouTube Vids etc.).
Does anyone know of any browsers that still support Mac OS X El Capitan? I can't update the Mac to a higher OS version without updating the processor (to a Core 2 Duo Extreme) and it isn't worth doing that.

Reactions: rafark

davigarma

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2021
El Capitan receives the latest official version from Google, 97 , and continues to update without problems. Safari 11 browses seamlessly across the web. You may need to update your certificate

TheMacPotato

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 3, 2006
London
Is there some function on the web that you're specifically asking about or is up-to-date security your only concern?
Security, but also updating to work with latest standards I guess. I know Firefox, had stopped updates and Safari and Chrome have stopped updating for El Capitan. I will check out Opera. I know it is ineviable that websites will stop working as standards change, over time, but just trying to get as much life out of the old iMac as possible.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
I understand. I have a 2007 MBP that's in the same boat. I'm just using it as a server of sorts.

My 2008 MB is working great, however, with the dosdude1 Catalina patch.

Perhaps you should consider installing a Linux distro on it. The web is the web for the most part.

Reactions: TheMacPotato

davigarma

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2021
SI know Firefox, had stopped updates and Safari and Chrome have stopped updating for El Capitan.
You are wrong. Chrome on El Capitan receives and updates to the latest version available for ALL operating systems

Attachments

• Captura de pantalla 2022-01-21 a las 15.46.52.jpg
    Captura de pantalla 2022-01-21 a las 15.46.52.jpg
    218.1 KB · Views: 333

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
On my 2007 MBP the problem with Chrome (going back a few years) is that it wouldn't run full screen video nearly as well as Safari or Firefox (Safari was best) and just running it with an empty window would heat up the unit and kick on the fans.

G4PPC

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2015
I was just able to track down the last version of Waterfox G3 based on Gecko 78.15.1 only slightly better than the Latest Firefox esr 78.15.0 that is supported for El Capitan. WaterFox is built for Speed and Security, and anything is better than plain old Esr. You can download the last version for El Capitan from Here it says it is for OSX Mavericks or Newer but I downloaded, installed and am runing it right now on my MacBook 5,2 with OSX 10.11.6 El Capitan it is however 64bit. It works great has lots of extra preferences and you can set it up to have a theme and some other stuff.

From what I read about Waterfox it's not the best Browser even compared to Firefox but Firefox ESR isn't either.

At least it's an alternative for El Capitan. To bad Waterfox G4 is for MacOS 10.12 or later because we could have had Firefox 90, dang it..

Although I'll probably be running it on my MacBook Air with Catalina as soon as I get it tomorrow along side the latest Firefox. Waterfox G3 can use it's own profile separate from Firefox so they can run at the same time.

You can read about WaterFox Here

I have hope that there still is later version of WFG3 for El Capitan out there. I'll keep looking, when I am not distracted with my new toy.

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
My macbook air 2010 4 GB was running Mojave great until this autumn were the spiining ball took over.
therefore i reinstalled El Capitan and using safari 11.1.2 which runs this site and others fine.
The MBA2010 has not streamed videos or other sites but I'm happy so far.
UPDATE: Firefox 78.15.0esr (64-bit) runs video related websites perfectly!

Last edited:

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018
Sure, it's been a year

Chrome 109 works just as well

Regards

View attachment 2145189
Where did you get that from? I could only get this version working in El Capitan:
Code:
macmini31s-Mini:~ macmini31$ /Applications/Google\ Chrome.app/Contents/MacOS/Google\ Chrome --version
Google Chrome 103.0.5060.134
macmini31s-Mini:~ macmini31$ /Applications/Chromium.app/Contents/MacOS/Chromium --version
Chromium 89.0.4325.0

Chromium 108.0.5359.124 for Mac OS

davigarma

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2021
¿De dónde has sacado eso? Solo pude hacer que esta versión funcionara en El Capitán:
[CÓDIGO]macmini31s-Mini:~ macmini31$ /Aplicaciones/Google\ Chrome.app/Contents/MacOS/Google\ Chrome --versión
Google Chrome 103.0.5060.134
macmini31s-Mini:~ macmini31$ /Aplicaciones/Chromium.app/Contents/MacOS/Chromium --versión
Cromo 89.0.4325.0 [/CÓDIGO]

Cromo 108.0.5359.124 para Mac OS

Reactions: startergo

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
Theres always macports. Then install surf and epiphany browsers. Works well for the modern web on snow leopard.

webkit-snowleopard.png

Using surf for discord. Epiphany for github.

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
Sadly, no. Not yet at least. They require clang to build if i remember right. Currently leopard only has gcc. I'm sure there may be other factors too, but thats the main one.

Reactions: startergo

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018
Epiphany for github
Tried it on SL in Parallels. When I open epiphany it opens X11 (legacy I guess) browser. The first letter I type in crashes the browser.
Edit: I managed to get it working after few attempts.

Last edited:

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018
@startergo For 10.11 blueboxd maintains a fork of chromium with backwards compatibility patches

I know. I added it here:
In fact this fork starts working from Lion and DRM support could be added (for Netflix DRM playback).

Last edited:

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018
Theres always macports. Then install surf and epiphany browsers. Works well for the modern web on snow leopard.
Don't know how it works well for you. It crashes with default X11, the X11 legacy from macports and is very sluggish with XQuartz.
Screen shot 2023-01-22 at 11.36.49 AM.png

Interweb on the other hand is working as designed.

Reactions: rafark

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
Weird. Maybe i just got lucky. Once in awhile i have to hit refresh if a page stops loading, but otherwise surf and epiphany both work well enough for the few "modern" pages i need them for. I just use them for that sole purpose, not for general use. It sure beats waiting for a VM to boot Linux to use current firefox or chromium.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.