Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
If apple released touch os with a pen that "just worked" and an amazing notes software like OneNote, it would be hailed as the greatest innovation since the pc. The surface and OneNote are amazing, but will likely languish because Microsoft cant market. Students will drive demand for real pen based solutions and the future of tablet computing will look more like a surface than an mba. The surface may or may not be part of that ultimate revolution

DeathTheKid

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2013
If anything, I would get a Surface Pro. Maybe once the Surface Pro 2 comes out, the regular Surface Pro will go down in price then I will snag one up.

Otherwise, I am interested to see what Bay Trail has to offer. That should be around the end of the year. If you give me a tablet that is 11" (I can do 10", but perfer 11" or bigger), full Windows, and an active digitizer. At the right price I would get it.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
If apple released touch os with a pen that "just worked" and an amazing notes software like OneNote, it would be hailed as the greatest innovation since the pc. The surface and OneNote are amazing, but will likely languish because Microsoft cant market. Students will drive demand for real pen based solutions and the future of tablet computing will look more like a surface than an mba. The surface may or may not be part of that ultimate revolution

OneNote on my windows tablet works phenomenally. The handwriting recognition in windows is superb, and my thinkpad tablet 2 has a wacom digitizer, plus built in palm rejection. Taking handwritten notes is insanely nice, the best on the market IMO by far, even much better than Samsung's handwriting app/stylus phones/tablets. OneNote as a notes program is pretty phenomenal as well.

It is a shame, and the lack of stylus is one of the many many things that just turned me off of the ipad a long time ago. These are the things MS NEEDS to heavily market.

TheHateMachine

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2012
We are about to order about 15 Surface Pro 2s here at my hospital campus. My employer bought me a Surface Pro 1 to beta test and see how it worked on our network and it fit in flawlessly. I just had to spend time tweaking and configuring the factory image as close to our company image. It has replaced my ipad and laptop and now with the dock i'm going to sub it in for my desktop. The plan is to do the same for everyone in my department. We even got a former Apple employee who is absolutely stoked about this prospect.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
"Do you still think I'm pretty?" :rolleyes:

Anyone thinking twice about getting the new Surface 2?

Nope sticking with my iPad and MacBook air.

Mind you, I think the Surface is snazzy, but not to the extent that I would want to change over to one. I fondle them every time I'm in the Microsoft store.

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010
Fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice shame on me.

New Surface RT = DOA

New Surface Pro 2 = Sells less than 300,000 units globally

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
In a somewhat related note, did anyone take notice of the announcement of the new Dell Windows 8.1 tablets? The 8" model appears to be the nicest offering of that size in a Windows powered tablet to date (though I'd prefer a higher resolution display). The Venue 11 Pro looks terrific, better IMO than the Surface Pro 2 and priced initially far cheaper with awesome battery life.

Will certainly be keeping an eye on the Venue 11.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
In a somewhat related note, did anyone take notice of the announcement of the new Dell Windows 8.1 tablets? The 8" model appears to be the nicest offering of that size in a Windows powered tablet to date (though I'd prefer a higher resolution display). The Venue 11 Pro looks terrific, better IMO than the Surface Pro 2 and priced initially far cheaper with awesome battery life.

Those Dell tablets look phenomenal. That 8" one is $299, with a digitizer and stylus, although it's only 32gb. I will most likely grab that when it gets LTE.

silentbob007

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2010
Little Rock, AR
I should be getting a Pro 2 for work so I'm excited to try it. It also benefits from being able to play iTunes media (since I'm assuming iTunes can be installed).

InuNacho

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2008
In that one place

Well damn, I was thinking of getting an RT but if I can get that thing for $500, I'm sold.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Well damn, I was thinking of getting an RT but if I can get that thing for $500, I'm sold.

Well, I'd probably stay away from the cheapest model as it sounds like it'll be using a Pentium CPU. There will also be a versions with Atom Bay Trail (likely next step up) or Haswell CPUs.

If your budget is firmly along the lines of the Surface RT, you should also take a look at the recently announced Asus Transformer Book T100. The display isn't as high res but it's also running an Atom Bay Trail CPU and full Windows 8.1, price starting at $349.

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
I should be getting a Pro 2 for work so I'm excited to try it. It also benefits from being able to play iTunes media (since I'm assuming iTunes can be installed).

Anything you can install on a windows laptop or desktop you can install on a surface. It's a full fledged windows computer (Windows 8 pro, core i5, 4/8gb ram)

InuNacho

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2008
In that one place
Well, I'd probably stay away from the cheapest model as it sounds like it'll be using a Pentium CPU. There will also be a versions with Atom Bay Trail (likely next step up) or Haswell CPUs.

If your budget is firmly along the lines of the Surface RT, you should also take a look at the recently announced Asus Transformer Book T100. The display isn't as high res but it's also running an Atom Bay Trail CPU and full Windows 8.1, price starting at $349.

The only "heavy" mobile things I would do is LAN Halo 2 and Unreal 2004 and I'm pretty sure that the Venue's quad Atom + 4GB can handle both those quite smoothly. The only real pro I had going for the RT was the built in Office Suite and the ability to access a desktop, the price was just a bonus.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.