Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
You're comparing Windows 8 to iOS, why not compare Windows 8 to OS X, or Ubuntu? Than add in all of OS X's pre-installed programs, such as Garage Band? You're confusing the software it's running due to the form factor. And 8gb Windows + Office install is fantastic. a 5gb recovery partition isn't bad at all (considering it's 8gb's of info) and then you're complaining about it?

My 128gb Air only had something like 94gb's free. You don't hear me complaining about the missing 34GB (which is about 2x as much as the surface uses).

ReanimationN

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2011
Australia
If you're not using the tablet as a tablet, then what you're really talking about is a thin and light laptop. That's what I've gathered from your previous posts. If the touch based OS isn't something you're using, then why get a tablet in the first place? MS is trying to live with one foot in the past and one in the present as they're not willing (or don't know how) to push forward.
What if you're using it as both?
Please explain to me what you do on the surface as a desktop based program? And then ask yourself why they (MS) have not made the app based around the very different functional aspects of the surface?
I'd say the vast majority of desktop programs being used aren't made by Microsoft at all, so asking why Microsoft haven't made the app touch based and for the Metro/Modern UI is silly. That'd be like asking "Microsoft, why haven't you made ArcGIS touch based for the Surface??", that's not Microsoft's doing, ESRI makes ArcGIS. And same goes for every other desktop program- iTunes (Apple), StarCraft 2 (Blizzard), FL Studio (Image-Line) and so on.

And what would you do with desktop apps? Use the enormous, powerful back catalogue of Windows software to do whatever you want!
Sure, they've given you a choice of yet another netbook to do things the same way they've always done them, which is exactly how MS wants it.
Netbooks never had touchscreens with a UI built for touch running on them. Plus mobile x86 processors have come a long way since the netbook's heyday.

Also, spinedoc, your tablet sounds amazing- you're making me jealous. ;) Can't wait for the Surface Pro.

TheHateMachine

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2012
Can you delete stuff to gain the space back or is it built into the OS? I don't see a problem with just removing things you'll never use or keeping them if it comes in handy.

I currently have a 64gb sd card filled in my Xoom with movies. And 10 gb used on the internal memory with assorted files, game roms, etc. still have 20 gb left. So I could still easily use the surface.

You can delete pretty much every built in app. I reduced mine down to only Email, Social(Facebook), Xbox Music, Office 2013 and the Windows Store.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.