Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

peterpan123

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2014
The surfacebook is trying to do all sorts of things. All of them have been done before, but not all of them have been done before in 1 device, and as nice a device. I mean the laptop dock has a dgpu in it!

What are the advantages of having a dgpu in a dock? Does it allow better 3D graphics performance?

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
The demo surface book in the microsoft store near my place does not work. The tablet cannot be detached from the keyboard, it got stuck, the button that suppose to detach just didn't work, even the microsoft employee does not know why.

That was my first impression of the surface book. Sad!

LOL, that is sad, indeed!

When I went to see the Surface Book, the tablet did detach, but my impression was the detachment mechanism felt clumsy and unintuitive. We couldn't find the button to release it, and had to ask the store person. The store person showed us the button, and it did detach, but it didn't really come off that smoothly, and then putting it back felt clunky, too. It just didn't feel like something I'd feel comfortable taking off and putting back that often.

Surface3User

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2015
I'm just not sure I'd buy a Surface Book over the XPS 15

I think that's a good thing -- choices. Personally, I would choose a XPS over a Surface Book for a host of reasons since I already have a tablet that I'm more than satisfied with. After looking at the XPS line in person, I think the XPS is the slickest looking laptop on the market (including over the Surface Book and MBPs). You also get a better GPU, more ports, and great battery life. Consumer PCs have really stepped up their game.

Regardless, I'm probably going with neither because I don't really need to travel with my personal laptop anymore. I need it more for editing photos and videos. Even though my current 4-5 year old laptop works fine, I'm leaning towards a workstation workhorse.

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans
I like what you're saying! I thought I was done with everything windows. Especially because I never saw any of the manufacturers actually put effort into the device's aesthetics. The surface pros to me where a meh, they're nice but nothing great. The surface book floored me though. Its a beautiful design and packed decent specs and even dGPUs! The only pet peeve I have is that it doesn't close flat, but I don't think it will be closed a lot if I had one. A full desktop OS, great specs, beautiful design, all in a tablet/laptop hybrid. Of course it comes at a price, but I think its well worth it! I would be happy with the tablet portion alone, but that only gets 3 hours of battery life without the keyboard.

Im currently trying to sell my macbook pro so that I can get one! :D

burgman

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2013
I left Windows when the Mac vs PC ads came out. Now that Windows 10 is out I really like it vs OSX. Trying to decide between a SB or 15 inch XPS. I returned my Surface Pro 4 because of having mix of software and hardware issues. I was looking at a display SB at Best Buy today and noticed the outside of the hinge was badly worn from rubbing on the hard display table when opening. Salesman said they only had it out about 2 weeks. Screen is amazing, Clipboard section is very light, but little things bothered me like no display brightness control on the keyboard, I use that a lot on rMBP and IPad. Good news is you can charge the tablet section separate from the keyboard so a second charger by couch for me. Still on the fence about purchasing.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Tried it at Best Buy. Other than the screen size I wasn't sold on the SB and the keyboard isn't as tactile as the Type Cover 4. SP4 form factor makes more sense to me and all it needs is a bigger screen size option and Type Cover with dGPU with supplemental battery that you can swap out for if you need more graphics performance otherwise snap on the Type Cover for compactness and light weight.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
The demo surface book in the microsoft store near my place does not work. The tablet cannot be detached from the keyboard, it got stuck, the button that suppose to detach just didn't work, even the microsoft employee does not know why.

That was my first impression of the surface book. Sad!

Hopefully it was to stop theft, but still nicer if it detaches even if only for 10% of the time you use it

Reactions: Ddyracer

Southernboyj

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 8, 2012
Mobile, AL
Does anyone have more thoughts on this product?

So an update from me. I had to go into the hospital for an emergency appendectomy. I was forced to return the SurfaceBook to pay for it. :(

In my opinion, it's the best Windows laptop available right now. However, the Sirface Pro 4 is a much better tablet for 1 reason: Battery life

The Surface Book gets great battery life as a laptop, but the tablet portions battery life is very very bad. If I needed a great laptop, honestly I'd buy the Surface Book right now over a MacBook Pro.

I think the Surface Pro 4 kills the iPad Pro. The Type Cover 4 is fantastic.

By the way, I own an Apple TV, iPhone 6S Plus, and an iPad Air 2 so I don't hate Apple or anything.

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand
So an update from me. I had to go into the hospital for an emergency appendectomy. I was forced to return the SurfaceBook to pay for it. :(

In my opinion, it's the best Windows laptop available right now. However, the Sirface Pro 4 is a much better tablet for 1 reason: Battery life

The Surface Book gets great battery life as a laptop, but the tablet portions battery life is very very bad. If I needed a great laptop, honestly I'd buy the Surface Book right now over a MacBook Pro.

I think the Surface Pro 4 kills the iPad Pro. The Type Cover 4 is fantastic.

By the way, I own an Apple TV, iPhone 6S Plus, and an iPad Air 2 so I don't hate Apple or anything.
Sorry to hear it:(

Yeah. The Surface Pro 4 is definitely better than the iPad Pro.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Keeping it simple and no confrontational :)

Ones laptop trying to be a tablet the other is tablet trying to be a laptop

But that seems like a very good reason why we should compare them, to see which is better at achieving their respective goals.

Reactions: khha4113

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
But that seems like a very good reason why we should compare them, to see which is better at achieving their respective goals.

That may seem a good intention or reason but why would we want to compare their respective goals unless you think we can measure efficiency, practicalities etc between them

For example we can compare a boat to a plane which are both methods of transport to see how the differ but trouble is in these normal tech comparisons we end up with a long list of specification differences only and not what you maybe suggesting a much higher level comparisons on functionality etc

It seems to me difficult to quantify such things without adding some subjective augment, opposed to real data

RickTaylor

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2013
Does anyone have more thoughts on this product?

If one is considering the surface pro or the surface book, I'd recommend at least also considering whether an OEM two in one laptop might fit one's need. I bought the surface pro 3, and while I liked it, I returned it when the surface book was announced, because I wanted something more like a laptop. Finally I questioned whether I wanted a detachable screen at all; really I was looking for something with a digital pen and a screen that could be folded back while writing. I found Lenovo had something that fit this description (available only in Best Buy, and the pen had to be ordered separately), and have been fairly happy with it. The screen is slippery for writing on, it doesn't have the traction of the surface, but aside from that it's perfect for what I need. I'm thinking maybe a screen protector would help.

Reactions: TechGod

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
If one is considering the surface pro or the surface book, I'd recommend at least also considering whether an OEM two in one laptop might fit one's need. I bought the surface pro 3, and while I liked it, I returned it when the surface book was announced, because I wanted something more like a laptop. Finally I questioned whether I wanted a detachable screen at all; really I was looking for something with a digital pen and a screen that could be folded back while writing. I found Lenovo had something that fit this description (available only in Best Buy, and the pen had to be ordered separately), and have been fairly happy with it. The screen is slippery for writing on, it doesn't have the traction of the surface, but aside from that it's perfect for what I need. I'm thinking maybe a screen protector would help.

I looked at the SP4 from a slightly different perspective I want a small footprint capable laptop, the fact that you get a detachable KB, pen etc that can work like a tablet is just a bonus.

If I were to use it in tablet mode even 5% of the time it would still be more than if I had a normal Ipad/Android type tablet who's functions are already covered mainly by my smartphone

What appeals is the versatility/options/capability but is still a 100% laptop although there may be arguably some compromise on ergonomics re Kickstand and KB over a conventional clamshell laptop of a similar footprint and build quality

Last edited:
Reactions: RickTaylor
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.