Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you own a Surface device

• Yes I own a Surface Pro or Surfacebook - it’s great

Votes: 161 53.0%
  • Yes I own a Surface laptop - it’s great

Votes: 35 11.5%
  • No - i’m not a fan

Votes: 61 20.1%
  • Not anymore I had a bad experience

Votes: 47 15.5%

• Total voters

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011
When Surface beats the M series Mac's I'll revisit, as 4-5 hours is not remotely close to what I need or now used to. Microsoft was on the right path with the Surface Book but dumped it in in favour of pursuing a worse performing MBP clone.

TBH Surface has rather fizzled out into much to do about nothing. At this point Microsoft really needs to dig in and go...

Q-6

Yes, this. It's why I have been avoiding it. Six hours is not a full day, and I need a battery capable of a full day. Ten hours would be fine. I am spoiled with the MBA these days on battery, but I still like the SP's form factor and versatility.

Yeah see I need like zero battery life like 95% of the time. I use my SP9 at like 2 different desk setups so for me it's just fine. And when I travel, that is enough time. I lower the performance and brightness and get like 6 hours so it's all good for me. That said, yes, it is absolutely the one thing I have thought about with the upcoming Snapdragon X Elites. The battery life! I can't wait to see how good it is! Of course the possible performance boost helps as well, but really with what we are doing on ultralight laptops, which is what the surface pro kinda is LOL, that is secondary to me.

Reactions: Queen6

Queen6

macrumors G4
Yeah see I need like zero battery life like 95% of the time. I use my SP9 at like 2 different desk setups so for me it's just fine. And when I travel, that is enough time. I lower the performance and brightness and get like 6 hours so it's all good for me. That said, yes, it is absolutely the one thing I have thought about with the upcoming Snapdragon X Elites. The battery life! I can't wait to see how good it is! Of course the possible performance boost helps as well, but really with what we are doing on ultralight laptops, which is what the surface pro kinda is LOL, that is secondary to me.
Hopefully they will on both counts as the Mx series Mac's are very performant given their formfactor. Surface suffers the same issues Mac's had as the thermal envelope is too small to deal with powerful processors & high workloads. The Mx Mac's simply dont have that issue for the most part on or off the mains.

If the new ARM SOC's come close to Apple's Mx series they will radically change Surface and many other ultralight's. They will also push Apple to get off it's laurels and have a little more imagination other than iterative updates to it's HW.

Q-6

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011
I will wait and see what comes of the X Elite. I feel like I have finally reached an age where impulse purchasing is behind me :)
Same here, I will stick with my SP9 until it breaks honestly, but I don't use the SP9 for anything crazy...but when I can get a Snapdragon X Elite tablet (surface or OEM) on Swappa.com? Ohhhhhh it will be nice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.