Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Marsikus

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 12, 2020
AE
I was looking at Microsoft Surface laptop for Windows machine when noticed that Samsung is in laptop business again.
Any thoughts or experience on this regard?

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
Some people seem to love the new Samsung line up in their galaxy book series. They seem like a well built laptop, a lot less bezel on the screen then the surface laptops as well which helps it feel more modern.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
when noticed that Samsung is in laptop business again.
Just eyeballing the specs, the Galaxy Book2 Pro looks like a good machine. I have no experience or knowledge of their build quality but on paper it seems good.

Here's a review from a Yter that I like

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I checked in Samsung store two days ago, unfortunately they don’t have laptops here.

1671019252442.png

Marsikus

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 12, 2020
AE
I am not in the US, though local Amazon has some Samsung laptops, but that is not official distribution.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
Surface devices are much different than Galaxy books. Software on Galaxy Book is like Galaxy android with a ton of added software vs Surface which has minimal bloat and is closer to a Pixel.

That being said the Galaxybook 2 pro not pro 360 is a decent laptop. The hardware and build quality is nice but the surface is better. The screen is only 1080p compared to the surface 2k but it is Amoled. The problem with the galaxybook pro vs pro 360 is the screen quality is not as good. It has a grainy texture that is very distracting while the pro 360 has a better looking screen.

The performance of the Galaxy book pro is probably on par with the surface. You get more ports.

I bought the Galaxy book2 pro on sale at BestBuy and returned it pretty quickly. The Galaxy book pro 2 360 is a lot nicer, has a faster processor but the screen is super thin and feels delicate.

The speakers are on the bottom of both lines but the Galaxy book 2 has a lot lower volume.

If priced the same as much as I am not a fan of the surface laptop 5 it is the better device. If we are talking the pro 360 then it is a bit nicer than the surface but the surface wind in build quality overall despite fewer ports and lcd vs amoled.

I like Samsung laptops but the pricing is pretty high. The 1080p screen specifically on the larger sizes leaves a lot to be desired but the pro 2 360 amoled tech is very nice. The speaker placement is unfortunate and generally the surface speakers are a lot better. Samsung apps are nice if you have a Samsung Galaxy phone but are a bit much and you have Mcaffee pre installed so there is a lot of extra apps but some people like it and some don’t. Surface is the cleanest version of windows you can get.

Battery life is probably a little better on the Samsung as surface laptops have never had super battery life.

Reactions: Marsikus

Marsikus

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 12, 2020
AE
Thank you for the extended review. Well, I completely forgot about such thing like preinstalled crapware on Windows laptops :D Is that a thing on Surfaces too?

Bubble99

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2015
I was looking at Microsoft Surface laptop for Windows machine when noticed that Samsung is in laptop business again.
It depends on if you want 360 laptop / 2 in-1 or tablet.

360 laptop / 2 in-1

.jpg

dell_i5482_5533slv_inspiron_5000_i5_8265u_8gb_1tb_1442256.jpg

VS say tablet

Like Microsoft surface that attaches to kickstand or this Acer one that has cram shell case like this.

Aspire%2BSwitch%2B10_SW5-012-08_key-visual.jpg
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-JtNH_dllFxs/VA--uOGcZ8I/AAAAAAAAEIE/uJSUPFEBgEg/s1600/Aspire+Switch+10_SW5-012-08_key-visual.jpg

Or this Lenovo tablet and cram shell thinkpad kayboard

Windows-10-2-in-1-tablet.jpg

The 360 laptop / 2 in-1 seem well less Tablet like than some thing like Microsoft surface or this Acer one or Lemovo one.

You also have to buy the kickstand or cram shell separate.

On side note there will be less mobile apps on the Microsoft Windows app store than Apple app store for iPad. So it depends what you use case is and what you using it for.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.