Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacPro2006VBox

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 9, 2014
This thread is a space to talk about the failed Surface RT and Surface 2.. from development to just overall tinkering with the ARM based devices.
a9defd61f9d1ba19a4daa30a978f7f4b.jpg

Windows 10 on my Surface RT!

MacPro2006VBox

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 9, 2014
Nice! I miss my Surface RT. I bought the 1st gen when Microsoft had a firesale on them.

Youtuber Sean Ong made an excellent video (9 years ago!) of what he was doing with his Surface RT.

I really want to port Firefox to it… problem is that although Rust exists for that particular configuration, it isn’t compiled as a target, and on top of this documentation to even do that is pretty much nonexistent. But Firefox otherwise is doable.

Reactions: sracer

Ctrlos

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2022
I used to love mine. There was a time (well, the calendar year 2012) where the Microsoft ecosystem really worked. I used an RT, Xbox 360 and Windows Phone 8 device for everything and they all worked together in a wonderful harmony. I loved that my mobile games counted towards my Xbox gaming records. The RT doubled up as a map when playing Forza Horizon and Fable 3 and it was genuinely useful.

Then they binned ARM, ruined WP8 with the sloooooow 8.1 update and (despite buying it for its media functions) the Xbox One was not what I needed.

Apr 12, 2023
I used to love mine. There was a time (well, the calendar year 2012) where the Microsoft ecosystem really worked. I used an RT, Xbox 360 and Windows Phone 8 device for everything and they all worked together in a wonderful harmony. I loved that my mobile games counted towards my Xbox gaming records. The RT doubled up as a map when playing Forza Horizon and Fable 3 and it was genuinely useful.

Then they binned ARM, ruined WP8 with the sloooooow 8.1 update and (despite buying it for its media functions) the Xbox One was not what I needed.
Me too. I had the surface 3, lumia 1020, my acer 4810T notebook and xbox 360 and it all worked great. I love the surface lineup. I have to get another when I see that the ARM based pro works really well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.