Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vishe72

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2020
Hi All, lost my series 4 apple watch with sports loop while surfing this week. Admit was heavy surf but it wasn't the first time I've felt the sports band come loose and found it handing on my wrist ready to come off. Also, seen some posts of swimmers have sports loop come loose. I love the sports loop as dries quickly and feels comfortable but the risk of losing the watch in the water appears high with the loop. Will try the Nike sports band when I buy a replacement. Any surfers using apple watch series 4 or 5 have a recommendation on a band (sports band or 3rd party band) that will not come loose?

Update 29th Jan 2020: purchased a replacement series 5 with Nike sports band. Can report it feels very secure when surfing and I would recommend over the sports loop when it comes to having the watch as secure as possible on your wrist during extreme sports activity. You just have to compare the way the 2 band fasten to see the Nike sports band is not going anywhere easy. Downside is it's not as breathable / comfortable as the sports loop. Still for me, Nike sports band is worth it to know I'm not going to see another AU$800 sink to the bottom of the ocean!

Last edited:
Reactions: twanj

diba

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2019
Loosing a watch with sports loop? Can not believe - even if the velcro is open, what never happened to me in more than 2 years while exercising different sports ....

PugMaster

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2019
Looks like the shop is reselling the 2$ knock off bands for just 24.99... get it while you can, or...better don’t.

Reactions: addamas

Vishe72

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2020
Does't Apple recommend reversing the sports loop before swimming
Hey YatBob, I did not know this and will look into it. Thanks heaps!
[automerge]1578206432[/automerge]
Loosing a watch with sports loop? Can not believe - even if the velcro is open, what never happened to me in more than 2 years while exercising different sports ....
Good to hear and I've never had it come loose except in the big surf. Also, did not know apple recommend reversing the band in water. Will look into that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pitch and twanj

bobsamm

Suspended
Oct 6, 2019
I picked up a 5 week old S5 off ebay for a good price, it came with the Catalyst case/band. Have to say it's brilliant for surfing and for anything you do where could damage the watch. Really like it and comfortable to wear, don't have to swap watches at all now. Had a film SP on it and have left it on so far.

Sirious

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2013
United Kingdom
Apple recommends that you reverse the fit of the band for swimming, for a "more secure fit".
Wear it with the loop towards you for normal everyday wear, and the loop facing away from you for water sports.

loop.jpg

Hi All, lost my series 4 apple watch with sports loop while surfing this week. Admit was heavy surf but it wasn't the first time I've felt the sports band come loose and found it handing on my wrist ready to come off. Also, seen some posts of swimmers have sports loop come loose. I love the sports loop as dries quickly and feels comfortable but the risk of losing the watch in the water appears high with the loop. Will try the Nike sports band when I buy a replacement. Any surfers using apple watch series 4 or 5 have a recommendation on a band (sports band or 3rd party band) that will not come loose?

Update 29th Jan 2020: purchased a replacement series 5 with Nike sports band. Can report it feels very secure when surfing and I would recommend over the sports loop when it comes to having the watch as secure as possible on your wrist during extreme sports activity. You just have to compare the way the 2 band fasten to see the Nike sports band is not going anywhere easy. Downside is it's not as breathable / comfortable as the sports loop. Still for me, Nike sports band is worth it to know I'm not going to see another AU$800 sink to the bottom of the ocean!

Last edited:

JMarcSyd

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2021

Well the same just happened to me. I had a heavy wipeout in 4-5ft surf today in Sydney and when I came up ... my Apple Watch SE was gooone ... *sigh*

The worst is that I replaced the sports band with a (rather tight) solo loop as a couple of times the sports band was about to come off (same as you). But the solo loop is no good: I fell kinda backwards and the impact on the water just made the whole watch slide off my wrist. I didn't even feel it go. Solo loop is too elastic for surfing.

Next band will be the UAG recommended by Surfline. But first I need to buy another watch grrr....

Robbosan

Suspended
Aug 21, 2020
Well the same just happened to me. I had a heavy wipeout in 4-5ft surf today in Sydney and when I came up ... my Apple Watch SE was gooone ... *sigh*

The worst is that I replaced the sports band with a (rather tight) solo loop as a couple of times the sports band was about to come off (same as you). But the solo loop is no good: I fell kinda backwards and the impact on the water just made the whole watch slide off my wrist. I didn't even feel it go. Solo loop is too elastic for surfing.

Next band will be the UAG recommended by Surfline. But first I need to buy another watch grrr....
Bummer, i am in Coffs.

I used to wear my S4 surfing had the UAG velcrove band no probs, used to get wax on it though so when i got a S5 off ebay it came with a Catalyst waterproof case so was using it, one day it came lose but was able to fix it before it came off.
Now i just use a ripcurl tide watch i got for $100AUD off Amazon just for surfing.

Reactions: JMarcSyd

JMarcSyd

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2021
Bummer, i am in Coffs.

I used to wear my S4 surfing had the UAG velcrove band no probs, used to get wax on it though so when i got a S5 off ebay it came with a Catalyst waterproof case so was using it, one day it came lose but was able to fix it before it came off.
Now i just use a ripcurl tide watch i got for $100AUD off Amazon just for surfing.
Coffs looks good today!

As stop gap measure I am considering adding a wrist leash to the watch, the same that you can find on the floating devices for the GoPro. Not very practical but I do want to have my watch in the water so I can call my wife if I am running late when the surf is good.

Reactions: Robbosan

Robbosan

Suspended
Aug 21, 2020
Coffs looks good today!

As stop gap measure I am considering adding a wrist leash to the watch, the same that you can find on the floating devices for the GoPro. Not very practical but I do want to have my watch in the water so I can call my wife if I am running late when the surf is good.
I wish south swells are too straight up here, too big, might settle for tomorrow hopefull.

Reactions: JMarcSyd

JMarcSyd

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2021
Finally got the UAG active watch strap. I've secured it with an extra piece of velcro to prevent accidental opening.

Now it feels super secure!

UAG.jpg

miketkong

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2022
Can confirm the Apple Watch Solo Band is no good for surfing. Lost it punching through the back of a head high barrel. As the other user wrote here, I didn't even feel it come off and don't know whether it was pulled off over my hand or snapped. Either way, super bummed about it. Solo loop for surfing = NO!

Dealmans

Suspended
Mar 12, 2022
Can confirm the Apple Watch Solo Band is no good for surfing. Lost it punching through the back of a head high barrel. As the other user wrote here, I didn't even feel it come off and don't know whether it was pulled off over my hand or snapped. Either way, super bummed about it. Solo loop for surfing = NO!
Dang.

I have been wearing the alpine band with my new ultra surfing, no way its coming off, very secure.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.