Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kasket

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 15, 2020
I've been trying to figure this one out for days.

I just bought an M1 Mac Mini. I am trying to plug it into my Samsung 4k display Un55NU7100 via HDMI into the third HDMI port (with ARC). So far all good, image is crisp.

Now I am struggling to figure out how to get surround sound coming out. My surround sound is an old DVD surround sound combo that I mainly use as surround sound through a digital optical cable. It worked great with my only windows computer, but I really wanted to try the M1 mac mini out.

Basically, I imagine that I am trying to take the sound from the mac mini hdmi output and send it to my surround sound. But i seem to fail at getting surround sound. It seems all I can get is a stereo signal sent to my 5.1 speakers.

Audio Midi Setup shows two devices, the mac mini speakers, and Samsung. The samsung device only has two channels, and I can seem to change that.

Screen Shot 2020-12-15 at 8.17.22 PM.png

Things I've tried:

1. Mac mini HDMI to TV 3rd port, with the TV's optical out to the Surround Sound in.
Result: Stereo sound in the 5.1, Mac Mini reads output as 2 channels

2. Bought a HDMI converter (Auvipal HDMI to HDMI+Audio+ARC). I plugged the mac mini into the converter via HDMI, then another HDMI from the converter to the TV, and from the converter to the surround sound via optical cable.
Result: Stereo sound in the 5.1, Mac Mini still only reads two audio devices, Mac mini speakers and Samsung, with two channels.

In both cases, I've fiddled the samsung setting to Bitstream and PCM, it changed nothing.

I've also tried using the thunderbolt (or is it usd-c) outpuit, plugging the hdmi cable into a usbc/hdmi dongle. No change.

It may be important to note I have Sound Source installed because I want to control the volume from my keyboard and not separate remote.

I'm close to giving up and returning this thing, but I really want to make it work. You may ask why not just use an apple TV, but I want use this computer as the plex server for the rest of the house.

HELP ME!

Is there a way to force a 5.1 signal out of the mac mini? Is there another configuration I'm not thinking about. Do I need to buy some other dongle that can fix all of this and give me proper surround sound?

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
I cannot help just yet, as I am waiting for my M1 Mac mini (should arrive next week..)
But as I am also using this Mac as a HTPC which will be attached to my Samsung 4K TV, I expect similar issues.

I know that my current via HDMI attached Mac mini (2010 - 2011-ish model) doesn't handle surround sound through the Samsung 4K TV well either.
So, I attached this Mac mini to a 5.1 AV Surround receiver with the 5.1 speaker setup, and the TV is plugged into the HDMI "output"of the receiver. So, audio directly over receiver, which gives all the 5.1 fun I want (Dolby Digital, DTS, etc.)

This Mac mini does not supprt 4K, but the receiver also does not support 4K.... So i was hoping to be able to attach the M1 Mac mini video to the TV (this 4K) and get some sort of audio connection to the receiver for the surround sound.

So.. seems similar.
I am trying to keep this thread alive, and once my Mac mini has arrived i can share my experiences.

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
Interesting, I never thought about using surround sound for my M1 Mini - I am using a simple set of powered Klipsch 3 speaker system for stereo sound.

I figured if I wanted surround sound, I use Bose system on my living room TV system for 360 degree sound.

Kasket

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 15, 2020
I cannot help just yet, as I am waiting for my M1 Mac mini (should arrive next week..)
But as I am also using this Mac as a HTPC which will be attached to my Samsung 4K TV, I expect similar issues.

I know that my current via HDMI attached Mac mini (2010 - 2011-ish model) doesn't handle surround sound through the Samsung 4K TV well either.
So, I attached this Mac mini to a 5.1 AV Surround receiver with the 5.1 speaker setup, and the TV is plugged into the HDMI "output"of the receiver. So, audio directly over receiver, which gives all the 5.1 fun I want (Dolby Digital, DTS, etc.)

This Mac mini does not supprt 4K, but the receiver also does not support 4K.... So i was hoping to be able to attach the M1 Mac mini video to the TV (this 4K) and get some sort of audio connection to the receiver for the surround sound.

So.. seems similar.
I am trying to keep this thread alive, and once my Mac mini has arrived i can share my experiences.
Let me know how it goes when it arrives. Maybe you’ll figure out something I’ve not been able to yet.

other than this issue, the M1 MMini is very nice.

Reactions: SipperGW

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
Yes... it had arrived and it took 2 weeks before I was able to try it out...

So, Mac mini M1 16 GB.
Goal: have 4K display on SamsungTV, and surround sound via Sony AVR audio set.

Mac mini via HDMI to TV, and TV via optical cable to surround AVR, this did not work: Stereo sound was no issue, but no 5.1 surround possible. Audio MIDI setup only recognises 2 channels.
The surround AVR does not support 4K (only up to 1080p), so display through AVR won't show 4K.

Only 1 solution worked for my setup:
  • Mac mini M1 hooked up to Samsung TV for the 4K display (with HDR) via HDMI directly.
  • Mac mini M1 hooked up to Sony Surround AVR through Thunderbolt 3-> HDMI adapter (Apple's one).
  • Audio MIDI setup recognises all the channels, was able to setup 5.1 audio fine.
  • Needed the nightly build of VLC 4.xx for native support of M1.

So, I am happy. It works for me.

Last edited:

Superhai

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2010
I haven’t seen this thread before, but I connect my Mac mini to a Sony receiver and the output directly from that to the tv. All with hdmi. It is actually slightly more stable than my old intel Mac mini, but the reason I think is that it does not output with HDR anymore, and audio is restricted to 8 ch and 48khz, vs 8 ch and up to 192khz on the intel.

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
cheers, i have the same prob.
so, i wonder which cables (brand) exactly did you use — hdmi 2.0/2.1⁇ ?
and for some reasons i can't find apple's thunderbolt 3-> hdmi adapter… weird…not sure if a thunderbolt 3 ->hdmi cable would do the same as the adapter…

as a workaround, this one works, too:
the power up sequencing.
you have to power the tv first, waiting for it to "come up", then power the yamaha receiver, and then finally boot up the mini.
if you switch hdmi connections on the receiver, you would need to reboot the mini again.
also, you have to make sure the audio midi settings are correct: tv —> 5.1 order 7.1.
I just this USB-C to Digital AV adapter: from Apple Store
I haven’t seen this thread before, but I connect my Mac mini to a Sony receiver and the output directly from that to the tv. All with hdmi. It is actually slightly more stable than my old intel Mac mini, but the reason I think is that it does not output with HDR anymore, and audio is restricted to 8 ch and 48khz, vs 8 ch and up to 192khz on the intel.
Trouble for me is getting the 4K display next to 5.1 surround sound, as my Sony does not support 4K.
I could buy a new AVR (which supports 4K), but it is quite expensive. Might do that later.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.