Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JeffPerrin

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 21, 2014
Surround Speaker Check is an A/V utility app designed to help Apple TV users determine if their surround sound system is set up properly and optimized for streaming movies and TV shows. Version 2.0 brings full support for Dolby Atmos along with a host of new features and spatial audio content allowing users to hear the full potential of their home theater audio gear.
surround-speaker-check-1.png surround-speaker-check-2.png
surround-speaker-check-3.png
New features in version 2.0

• Spatial Test Suite provides comprehensive Dolby Atmos testing for 5.1.2 and 7.1.4 speaker layouts.

• Spatial Scenes gallery lets you experience extreme spatial audio soundscapes.

• A new Manual Speaker Check function allows for focused testing on individual speakers.

• Spatial Lab brings regular spatial audio demos and experiments designed to showcase your home theater capabilities.

• Updated video tracks with 3D animation provide improved visualization of sound sources.

Pricing and Availability
Surround Speaker Check 2.0 is available as a free download on the iOS and tvOS App Stores. The app retains two free test tracks from the original version and now offers a low-price, yearly subscription for unlimited access to all Dolby Atmos test tracks, spatial soundscapes, and free monthly downloads of Dolby Atmos content in the Spatial Lab.

Surround Speaker Check can be downloaded for free on the tvOS App Store. [Enter Surround Speaker Check in the tvOS App Store Search Menu.]

surround-speaker-check-tvos-logo-wide.png

Last edited:

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Apr 21, 2012
England
Just to get this clear, you are saying you can do everything above for absolutely free? I know you say you can download the app for free but there are in app purchases.

JeffPerrin

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 21, 2014
Just to get this clear, you are saying you can do everything above for absolutely free? I know you say you can download the app for free but there are in app purchases.
Thanks for asking. I just updated the post for clarification. Yes, there is a low-cost yearly subscription fee (not monthly!) which unlocks all the rest of the Atmos tests and spatial audio scenes. The app still has two free test tracks for basic surround testing.

Reactions: StumpyBloke

rxp

macrumors member
Apr 15, 2018
Thanks for the app. I feel a yearly subscription is a bit steep for this.

If anyone's interested in testing spatial audio with objects, there's some fantastic demo mp4's that can be played here. They give an audio call out with a visual representation of where the object should be: https://www.avsforum.com/threads/dolby-atmos-object-demo.3220387/ It's trippy how good Spatial Audio on the Air Pods is, even compared to my real system.

JeffPerrin

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 21, 2014
Thanks, I appreciate your feedback. Note the app is being repositioned from merely a test app, to a source of regular spatial audio content to enjoy. (See the "Spatial Lab" section) The subscription is for the monthly downloads and new premium content. But folks can still continue to use the basic tests for free, same as before.

rxp

macrumors member
Apr 15, 2018
Had no idea about the Functional Testing album - will check it out for sure

JeffPerrin

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 21, 2014
Cool! Can't ever be enough spatial audio content, IMO! :)

I'd like to offer a few ways how Surround Speaker Check moves beyond test tracks you might find on the internet:

• Manual Speaker Test allows you to manually select and isolate individual speakers of their choosing. (3 different loops)

• Spatial Object Test tracks feature dramatic examples of spatial audio. Moreover, 3D video imagery lets you see where objects should be "appearing" in your room. (I'm particularly proud of the F-18 Fighter Jet tracks!)

• Spatial Lab in-app video blog offers unique spatial audio field recordings, demos and experiments, all presented in Dolby Atmos. With new content every month, the Spatial Lab is meant to be a destination for fellow surround sound enthusiasts looking for a place to experience spatial audio at it's most extreme.

Thanks! –Jeff

stocklen

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2013
Surround Speaker Check is an A/V utility app designed to help Apple TV users determine if their surround sound system is set up properly and optimized for streaming movies and TV shows. Version 2.0 brings full support for Dolby Atmos along with a host of new features and spatial audio content allowing users to hear the full potential of their home theater audio gear.
View attachment 2325407 View attachment 2325408
View attachment 2325409
New features in version 2.0

• Spatial Test Suite provides comprehensive Dolby Atmos testing for 5.1.2 and 7.1.4 speaker layouts.

• Spatial Scenes gallery lets you experience extreme spatial audio soundscapes.

• A new Manual Speaker Check function allows for focused testing on individual speakers.

• Spatial Lab brings regular spatial audio demos and experiments designed to showcase your home theater capabilities.

• Updated video tracks with 3D animation provide improved visualization of sound sources.

Pricing and Availability
Surround Speaker Check 2.0 is available as a free download on the iOS and tvOS App Stores. The app retains two free test tracks from the original version and now offers a low-price, yearly subscription for unlimited access to all Dolby Atmos test tracks, spatial soundscapes, and free monthly downloads of Dolby Atmos content in the Spatial Lab.

Surround Speaker Check can be downloaded for free on the tvOS App Store. [Enter Surround Speaker Check in the tvOS App Store Search Menu.]

Is this your app?

Are you using the forum to advertise your paid-for app?

However, I would echo earlier sentiments that this type of app hardly seems appropriate for a subscription. You set up the appleTV, you connect your speakers... then you want to run a quick test to see all speakers are working. Why would people need to subscribe for this.

JeffPerrin

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 21, 2014
You set up the appleTV, you connect your speakers... then you want to run a quick test to see all speakers are working. Why would people need to subscribe for this.

Thanks for your question. Right - those looking for a quick and easy way to test like you describe, Surround Speaker Check still offers the same test tracks for free. No subscription is required for the free tracks. Use them as much as you like. A subscription however, gives you unlimited access to premium content, including monthly downloads of fresh spatial audio content from the Spatial Lab in-app blog.

To answer your first question, yes - according to the forum rules, this is the appropriate location for developers to share tvOS apps.

stocklen

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2013
Thanks for your question. Right - those looking for a quick and easy way to test like you describe, Surround Speaker Check still offers the same test tracks for free. No subscription is required for the free tracks. Use them as much as you like. A subscription however, gives you unlimited access to premium content, including monthly downloads of fresh spatial audio content from the Spatial Lab in-app blog.

To answer your first question, yes - according to the forum rules, this is the appropriate location for developers to share tvOS apps.
Noting wrong with that why not.

I downloaded this, or what I think is this years ago when I wanted to test my 5.1 system.

Having upgraded to an atmos soundbar I wanted to test all the speakers but couldnt use your app to do it.

Not a criticism, but an atmos sound check is something that I want to carry out once not repeatedly. Not sure the subscription model for me at least is appropriate.

Good luck with the app though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.