Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rasta4i

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 13, 2010
London
Hi everyone, I'm trying to decide between getting a base MacBook Pro 15 inch or an i9. However to make these kind of decisions I need to know how they perform under extended load not a geektest benchmark also I haven't seen many useful tests since apple issued the patch that got the thermal throttling under more control. I will be using it with an external GPU while at home and the MacBook isn't up to extended pressure I will go with the base and get i7 new Mac mini. Also playing to use Vega 64 in a egu

Jul 4, 2015
Paris
If you get the eGPU the heat should come under control. An updated FCPX will have better support for eGPU.

If you don’t need to be mobile then the Mac mini is a better solution because you can add RAM to it for better video caching.

Rasta4i

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 13, 2010
London
If you get the eGPU the heat should come under control. An updated FCPX will have better support for eGPU.

If you don’t need to be mobile then the Mac mini is a better solution because you can add RAM to it for better video caching.
Thanks yes I definitely need to be mobile so a laptop is a priority but I would also like to have a desktop especially if sustained loads causes very noticeable throttling.

I’m looking at the base 2018 15 inch, if I add i9 cpu and 32gb ram and 512 ssd it adds up to £890 extra

However I can get a Mac mini with i7 6 core for £1000 roughly so I’d rather have two computers rather than plough all my money into the laptop.

Of course I will use an egpu with the Mac mini if I get it

Jul 4, 2015
Paris
Thanks yes I definitely need to be mobile so a laptop is a priority but I would also like to have a desktop especially if sustained loads causes very noticeable throttling.

I’m looking at the base 2018 15 inch, if I add i9 cpu and 32gb ram and 512 ssd it adds up to £890 extra

However I can get a Mac mini with i7 6 core for £1000 roughly so I’d rather have two computers rather than plough all my money into the laptop.

Of course I will use an egpu with the Mac mini if I get it

In your case I’d get the base models for the MBP and Mac mini. An eGPU to share between them and also a RAID server.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.