Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

robertdaleweir

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 18, 2018
British Columbia, Canada
HI
I have a Mac desktop with 4 GB of RAM installed. I only have four programs running but it is using almost all of my RAM. The SWAP shows as 0 (zero). It appears that it is not using the SWAP at all and the unit will hardly run if I try to open another app. Is there a way to get the SWAP working? It is using Maverick OS. How can I find out why the SWAP is not being used?

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
It would seem the swap is being written to your hard drive…which is expected behavior when you're out of RAM…and if it's a spinner HD that would explain the severe slowdown.

robertdaleweir

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 18, 2018
British Columbia, Canada
It would seem the swap is being written to your hard drive…which is expected behavior when you're out of RAM…and if it's a spinner HD that would explain the severe slowdown.

Hi BrianBaughn
Thanks. How can I find out how much SWAP space is actually setup which could be used? Is there a command line interface function to check the swap setup. I notice 'swapon' is not available, although many other Unix commands are available. Is there another command where I can examine swap? I do not see in Activity Monitor any way of seeing how much Swap is assigned? Maybe I over looked something.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.